Chapter 2: Winter Wind

Gotham's National Concert Hall is located near the main Wayne Enterprises building in central Gotham. The Concert Hall is used to hold musicals and plays there such as Zorro, Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet, the venue has also been known to hold huge concerts such as Black Canary. When the venue wasn't completely booked out it was also used for small music competitions, recitals and even grading musicians.

Today, Damian was being forced to endure a music competition that Lola had entered. She played the guitar and she wanted him to see her play and support her.

Damian never entered any of these even though Bruce had mentioned many of them. Damian always said he would consider it but never went through with, besides he didn't have time for this.
Lola was out third playing a cover of a popular song that Damian did not recognise.

When she finished everyone stood and clapped.
Damian clapped and did his best to smile, as he knew she would be watching him but he really hated her taste in music. Some musicians were okay, some were out of tune completely and some had a fair chance at doing well in competition.
Next was the second last person on the list for today.
Only 3 of the musicians in this round were going to get through to the semi finals which will be held in metropolis.

The next to come out was a small framed girl. She was wearing a simple silk black dress that puffed out the waste with red converse and had untamed curly dark blonde hair.
That's about all Damian could make out because he as so far back in the seats.
She took a bow, he noted she was the only contestant that had done that. He watched curiously as she sat down by the grand piano that had been rolled onto the stage for her.
There was total silence in the theatre.
And then she began..

Damian didn't know how he was supposed to react to this.
He immediately recognised the piece as Etude Op.25, No.11 'winter wind'.
It was absolutely outstanding she nailed every single note.
The audience couldn't adjust to her level, they just sat their mouths open in absolute shock.

The competition had gone from Mary had a little lamb to one of the most complicated pieces in all of musical history. When she finished the Theatre blew up with screams and whistles and claps.
But Damian just sat there unable to move.
This girl had made Damian want to know her, he wanted to play his violin with her something he only got to do with little children.
She got up bowed and walked off stage. She seemed so calm and regal and not even caring that she had blown away the entire audience.

The results would be decided by tomorrow morning. Damian quickly disappeared outside as he didn't want to get caught by Lola, he would end up having to take her home and then have to endure another dinner with her parents. He really didn't want to do that again.
Damian walked outside and sat on a bench in the lush green courtyard as he waited for Alfred to come pick him up.
He noticed from the corner of his eye that he wasn't the only one waiting, he took in the girl sitting on the edge of the curb reading a some kind of novel.

Her curly hair was a dead giveaway. She still wore her red converses and was still wearing the black dress except with the Gotham academy hoodie thrown over it. It was the girl who had played Winter Wind but that didn't make sense she should be inside with the musicians.
She was so familiar, now that he could see her up close but he couldn't make out who she was as she had her back to him.
He just stared at her.
And then she turned around.

"Elena!?",Damian half squeaked."Damian? What are you doing here?", said Elena flustered and quickly stood up. Damian ignored the question and asked, "you played Winter Wind?"
"You were watching?",she said giving him a confused look.
"I'm not someone to give compliments but you were am-", before Damian finished he saw as Elena spotted Lola over Damian's shoulder walking out the hall with Ethan Summers. (The guy is a total douche)
He could see as her whole body language changed. She became alarmed and panicked and just said "uh thanks but I better get going", she smiled half heartedly and quickly got up a walked away quickly.
Leaving Damian to comprehend what had just happened.
"DAMIAN! DID YOU LIKE MY PERFORMANCE?" Lola squealed from behind.

He'd learned that Lola and Elena had been once best friends but something had happened and it had ended on very bad terms.
"Um yes, it was very-well um -modern", he gave her a big huge fake smile.
Before she could ramble on, Alfred had come to the rescue Damian got into the car and sighed. "Master Damian, you never said goodbye to Miss Lola", Alfred said spotting Damian's manners were lacking. "Believe me, Alfred, she'll be just fine", Damian reassured him.