Chapter 18: Bitter Waffles

Blu’s POV- Christmas Eve

I laughed as my mom shuffled through the kitchen in her pajama’s and bed hair,

“I suggest not to mess with your mom before her first cup of coffee Blu.” Gale instructed, he sat across from me at the kitchen table as he sipped his tea reading the papers.

“Why? It’s fun.” I chuckled as I leaned over and poked her in the side, my mom swatted at my hand as she took a drink of her coffee.

“Watch it or I won’t let you open your gifts.” she sat down and scratched her head tiredly,

“You wouldn’t do that mom, you love me too much.” I chuckled, taking a bite out of the waffles on my plate.

“Yeah, yeah, you’re lucky you’re an only child.” I nodded as Mary, our maid, walked into the kitchen

“Master Blu, Natalia Jayne is on the phone for you, she says it is urgent.” Mary’s soft voice floated through the room as she stopped beside me. I took the phone from her hand and thanked her, as I put my ear to the phone I heard sobs on the other end.

“Nat, what’s wrong?” I noticed it wasn’t just one person crying as someone sniffled in the phone,

“Dominic...” she whimpered before crying again, my heart began to race and I dropped my fork onto the plate, earning a confused glance from Gale.

“Nat, what do you mean ‘Dominic’?” I furrowed my brows as there was some shuffling on the phone, trying to calm my nerves I lifted the fork again and took a bite of the waffles,

“He’s in the hospital.” I heard Paige’s voice whisper as she choked back a sob, those four words turned my waffles bitter n my mouth, “We need you Blu.” she whimpered the last part  before crying again. I nodded vigorously, then realized she couldn’t see me, my grip on the phone tightened as I just about stopped breathing

“I’ll get a flight as soon as possible.” I hung up and my mom gave me a worried look as I pushed my unfinished breakfast away,

“Why do you need a flight?” Gale questioned me as he scrolled through his phone,

“Dominic’s in the hospital, they need me.” my mother sighed and patted my shoulder, I took a deep breath to keep myself from shaking,

“Gale can you book Blu the nearest flight.” she set her coffee down as she motioned to Mary, “And Mary could you pack his stuff so he’s ready to go.” she nodded and hurried out of the kitchen.

“It’s done, it’s scheduled to fly in an hour.” Gale began typing furiously on his phone before making a call.

I hurried off the private jet, it’d been six hours and forty minutes since Nat’s call, i’d counted. As I weave’d through the crowd of the airport I dragged my luggage behind me, getting a few dirty looks and rude comments thrown at me when I shoved through a couple crowds. Aunt Kayla sat in my car in front of the airport, her face and eyes were pink, signs that she’d been crying. I threw my luggage into the back of the car, not caring about it as I slammed the door shut.

“What happened?” I asked as she began to drive towards the hospital, probably breaking a few speed laws, I don't care.

“I don’t know for sure.” she turned the car off as we stopped in front of the hospital. I jumped out of the car and ran into the waiting room where a sobbing Nat threw herself at me, wrapping her arms around me and crying into my shoulder.

“Nat, Natalia, please, tell me what’s happened to him.” she began to hiccup and breath heavily as she tried to calm herself. Paige rubbed her back soothingly and wiped a tear from her cheek.

“His kidney’s failing, the doctors say if they don’t get a transplant for him soon... there’s nothing they can do.” Nat turned and they held eachother as tears ran down Paige’s cheek,

“If one of his kidney’s failing why can’t the other do the work?” Chase stood beside me, he looked like he’d been crying too, their faces all pink and tear stained with theirs eyes bloodshot.

“He’s already lost the first one, it failed a few years ago, this is his last, and there’s nobody that can match him to do the transplant.” his voice wavered as he spoke, like he was fighting a flood of tears.

“What about Nat, they're twins, or Paige, or you?” he shook his head and sighed deeply,

“Nat was born with one kidney, and Paige and I don’t match. We’ve tried everyone we know.” his eyes watered as his voice cracked, “If you want you can go in his room and talk with him,  there’s nothing they can do.” I gave Chase a quick hug, visibly seeing how hurt he was, and hurried to the room Dominic was in.

As I walked in his pale complexion was more ashen, and his hair was a mess as he laid on the hospital mattress in the light blue gown that they had patients wear. The blanked was pulled lazily to his waist as he laid with his head hung to the side limp, his breaths were slow and deep, his eyes closed and lips parted as he slept, the sound of the heart monitor, whispers of his breath, and faint rising of his chest were the only signs of him being alive. I sat in a chair beside the bed and took his hand in mine as I looked down at my shoes. I felt my eyes grow glossy and breathing go shallow as I held back the lump that was growing in the back of my throat. As I looked up at his sleeping figure I bit my lip to keep a sob from escaping, the beeping of the heart monitor echoed through the room for a minuet until it was broken by the sound of the door opening and closing, steps echoed over the beep’s as they stood beside me.

“Mr. Massie, I suggest you say your goodbyes, we’ve done all we can.” the nurse whispered beside me. I shook my head and held his hand tightly, standing up I leaned over him,

“I’m so sorry Dominic.” I whimpered,

“It’s not your fault Mr. Massie, there’s no match for a kidney transplant, you can’t help it that you’re not a match.” she whispered softly, rubbing my back to sooth me.

“No...” I whimpered, my grip tightened on his hand as my other cupped his cheek, "No, I- I can't loose him I just can't." the woman patted my back again and I pulled from her touch as she spoke,

"Mr. Massie-" I whipped my head around to look at the nurse,

"I'm not loosing him!" she flinched as I yelled and stepped back-

*     *     *

A/N: My baby, he's in the hospital :( I don't like this one bit

BUT that's how the story went in my head :P so too bad

Comment= Hug, Vote= Kiss, and Follow= A cuddle <3