Chapter 16

Mason's POV

Mason's POV

Walking towards Riley's home brought back so many memories. I walked this same path to pick her up every morning, countless times. I smiled when I walked past the speaker I'd always buzz in at. Sup Losers.

"After you Miss Matthews." I joked, holding the door open for Riley. We found ourselves in her apartment shortly after.

"Dad, I'm here." Riley yelled, hanging her coat on the coat rack.

"Hey sweetheart! Didn't expect you to come by, you usually call." he kissed her head.

"Figured I could spend a few days before finals." she smiled, that breathtaking smile. Mason, focus.

"Hello,  I'm Riley's father, Cory Matthews." he shook my hand. I began to laugh and he became confused.

"Wow Matthews, I figured you'd remember your best student." I smiled.

"Mason!" he hugged me tight, "I haven't seen you in a long time. You look great."

"Puberty did better second time around." I winked. Topanga came through the door and smiled at the small reunion.

"You came!" she squealed, "We've really missed you. I hope this isn't the only time we see you."

I faintly smiled, "I don't want to jinx anything, but hopefully I'm here in your lives to stay."

I really missed this family.  The only one that was missing was Auggie, but he was gone at a friend's house. We talked for another hour or so before Riley took me to her bedroom, man has it changed. I slowly looked around the room, taking in every detail, then sat on the edge of her bed.

"I almost didn't even recognize the place." I sighed.

"Well, once junior year hit, I figured I'd mature my room up a bit." she joined the seat beside of me.

DING

Zay: Hey, we're going on back to your dorm.

Mason: Cool cool. I will be there soon enough. Just stopped by the Matthews.

Farkle: tell him i said hi, see u in a bit man.

I looked up from my phone to see a curious Riley.

"Sorry, just the Zarkle kids." I laughed.

She smiled, "I knew they'd get together some time. How's college?"

"It's great. But  I am ready to start the real world.  How about you?"

"It's really good. I became good friends with Isadora."

"No way, smackle?"

"Yeah. heh, I stay in her dorm more than my own. She's been a cool friend. Who's the lucky girl to have your heart?" she faintly smiled.

"Nope, still single. I haven't been much for relationships, just third wheeling Zay and Farkle. I want a future and I don't know who with yet."

No words, no words were said after that. Just sweet silence, staring into each other's eyes, trying to think of how we made it without one another. I broke our eye contact and looked down at my shoes, tapping on the floor. Riley lifted my chin back to make eye contact and slowly leaned it.

"Riles... Lucas." I said, pulling away before any contact was made.

"Right." her emotions faded.

"I better get going, thanks for a really great evening. It was great seeing you again, hope to hang out soon, friend." with that, I grabbed my coat and left.

"Right." Riley nodded, still dazed.