Chapter 8

Mason's POV

That dance was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to experience. The entire night I sat in the far left corner of the gym and watched as everyone was dancing. A few kids came and went giving me company but no once did Riley stop by. I just watched as she danced all night with Lucas, both having a smile on their face that never seemed to fade.

This is my life now. After all those times of Riley being nervous and shy to talk to him, they broke the ice.

Literally  the worst 3 hours of my life. But afterwards, Riley happened to notice me. She approached me, hand in hand with Lucas.

"Guess who isn't single anymore" she laughed. I didn't have enough care in my body to even fake a smile. I just shook my head and kept walking to the exit.

"What was that about?" Lucas asked Riley, confused.

"I don't know." she started running toward me, "Maya! Maya!" she was right beside me and grabbed my arm. "Maya! I know you hear me." this time, Riley was mad.

"I'm sorry, I believe you have the wrong person. I'm Mason."

"Maya I'm not calling you that here."

"Why not Riley? Is Lucas not okay with it? Is that why?"

"Maya.."

"Stop calling me that!" I raised my voice.

"I'm not gonna call you that here because people don't understand. Plus your still a girl on the outside Maya."

"Do you have ANY idea how hard this is for me? Living this way! Being this way! It's not a fucking choice!"

"Maya I"

"No, listen to me for once. I actually thought that I had someone who cared and supported me. But no, because NOTHING ever goes right for Mason. I'm apparently not allowed to be happy!"

"Maya no, I haven't done anything ! You don't need to get mad at me because you're a girl who wants to be a boy! You're a girl Maya, you have been since I met you 10 years ago and you still are today. Just because you are a sophomore now doesn't mean you can change your gender!"

"Don't ever talk to me again." My heart just dropped, she actually thinks it is a choice? Riley Matthews actually said what she just said.

Riley's POV

I didn't have the nerve to look at her anymore, I realize what I said, but it's true.

"Who's Mason, babe?" Lucas said, wrapped his arms around my waist.

"That's what Maya wants to be called."

"Why? She a dyke" he laughed.

"She wants to be a boy."

"Remind me to never talk to the she-he again." He laughed, but I got so lost into his smile. 

Mason's POV

I don't think I've ever went out of a building that fast. I will not have that kind of negativity in my life anymore.