Chapter 12

Mason's POV

Farkle and I seemed to study nonstop for our first semester exam of my sophomore year in college. Exam was in about a week, so I really wasn't stressing tremendously. College was even better than I imagined. Everyone is their true self.

I scanned over a page I had scanned 100 times, trying to absorb all the information I possibly could. As long as I pass with a "C" on this test, I'll be doing just fine. About an hour into our study session, we were interrupted with a knock on our dorm door.

"Who's that?" Farkle mouthed to me as he approached the door, I simply shrugged. He looked through the peep hole, and smiled.

"It's just Zay." he rolled his eyes. Zay walked into the room, carrying a bag.

"Nice to see you too babe." Zay laughed and planted a kiss on the smaller boy.

"Sorry, we were just studying. And I wasn't expecting a visitor at," he glanced at the clock, "11 o'clock at night." Farkle smiled.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt, I can leave." Zay insisted, point back at the door. 

"Uh... I GUESS you can stay." Farkle put extra sarcasm on the word "guess". "What do you think, Mason?"

"I guess." I shook my head before laughing.

"I knew I always liked you Mason." he smiled and sat on our sofa. As he sat down, my eyes still were on the paper bag. I pointed to it.

Zay put his hands up in surrender and begin taking items out. "Nothing major, but I figured I'd get you something." He said to Farkle. Zay got out a rose, Farkle's favorite chocolates and the Resident Evil game Farkle has been dying to play.

"Awe! Thank you so much!" Farkle said in between kisses to Zay.

"And alas, the mighty prince hasn't forgotten about the king!" Zay handed me a box of my favorite candy too.

"I guess I can spare you." I laughed once more.

It wasn't uncommon for Zay to pay Farkle random visits, it was really cute. Usually he leaves within 10 minutes to venture back to his dorm, but this time he stayed. Time seemed to fly. It was now 1:33 in the morning and we still were sharing middle school horror stories.

"Remember when Mr. Matthews would take our life stories and turn them into lessons about life?" Zay asked, lying on Farkle's lap.

"Ahh yes, Matthews was wise with doing that though, taught us a lot." I replied, getting memories flashing back.

"So, have you and Riley talked lately?" Zay asked, almost immediately after my response. Farkle hit Zay in the arm before he could finish and gave him a look. The look that Zay knew he shouldn't have asked that.

I knew it would happen, the question would pop up. I had been avoiding it.

"Uhm, nope. Not since sophomore year." I looked down, "Her loss though."

"That's right Mason!" Zay cheered.

"You have us." Farkle smiled.

-DING-

"Who is up at this time?" Farkle laughed.

I glanced at the notification.

"Speak of the devil." I shook my head, "It's Riley" 

That short sentence was enough to make Farkle and Zay stand up and walk over.

"Riley Matthews?" Farkle asked, I nodded.

"What does it say?" Zay proceeded.

"Hey Maya. She really sent that?" I answered.

"She used your dead name?" Zay said.

I just sat there staring at my phone. First message I have gotten from her in 5 years. I just stared, I honestly don't know what to reply to that. I asked the two of them and they just shrugged. Maybe say Hi back? Zay kept saying to just respond, but I don't know. 

Mason: Hi Riley.

All this time I thought I've moved on from her, I could be hella wrong.