Sirius smiles at Remus' passionate words and rises from the table, scooping the pile of parchment into his hands. We all watch him warily as he makes his way down the table. Out of the corner of my eye I see Lily watch him too with unwanted curiosity.

     He nudges a tall, bulky boy at the end of the Gryffindor table with his elbow. The boy turns to look at Sirius, eyebrows knitting together. "What year are you?" Sirius asks boldly.

     "Fourth year?" The boy says as if he is unsure, looking down at the small raven haired boy.

     "Can you burn this?" Sirius asks, eyes blazing.

     The older boy's eyes shine with amusement, but he smirks as if in approval of Sirius. "Sure, kid."

     "James?" Lily's voice lulls me out of far away memories. I blink forcing the thoughts out of my head, before meeting her gaze.

     "Hm?" I ask.

     "Come on, slow poke," she grins, throwing her legs over the bench. I stand too, and we make our way to the headmaster's podium. Dumbledore smiles down at us as we approach.

      "I believe congratulations are in order," he says.

      "Thank you, sir," Lily and I say at the same time. I see her hide a grin out of the corner of my eye. 

      "As you both know, Lord Voldemort is gaining more and more power by the day," his tone now serious, as his gaze pierces our eyes. "I chose you two as Head Boy and Girl because I know how both of you feel about the dark arts. I needed two people I could absolutely trust."

      I nod solemnly, feeling the pride of Dumbledore's words swelling in my chest. "And, James," he turns to look directly at me. "I expect for you, as a pure-blood, to keep the blood status shaming under wraps, understand?"

      "Yes, sir," I answer.

      "Alright," Dumbledore says simply. "You two can start your first patrol, from now until midnight. Goodnight."

       We bid our goodnights and walk out of the Great Hall. "We just had our last welcome back feast," says Lily sounding slightly stunned.

       "You catch on quick, don't you, Evans?" I look at her teasingly.

       "Shut it, Potter," she says rolling her eyes at me, her cheeks tinged a slight pink.

       "Where should we start?" I ask.

       "Start up top and work our way down?" She suggests. I only nod because I am suppressing my snide comment of 'I know where you can work your way down.' The fact that I'm holding this in at all should prove how hard I'm trying to get her to like me.

        We make our way to the very top floor of Hogwarts. We look in corridors and broom closets, checking for anybody out of bed or up to things they shouldn't be. My mind goes to Padfoot, and how it is probably inevitable that I will find him shagging this year. A shudder runs through my body as my nose crinkles with an unwelcome image seared into my brain.

       "You know, you're very helpful to have along, Potter," Lily says without her usual teasing tone.

       I turn to see if she is arching an eyebrow or conveying sarcasm. She isn't. "Is that a joke?" I ask hesitantly.

       She snorts and rolls her eyes which makes me want to kiss her because she is so fucking adorable. "No, you idiot."

        "How?" I demand, still wary of her non-sarcasm.