58 | guilt

Dear Diary,

I really hate Valentine's Day- well, until after dating Jeremy. But this year, I didn't want a single thing to do with it. At this point, I was actually glad that I wasn't attending Corazón anymore. Then, I remembered I had a date with Jack. Oh my god.

There was no school today so it gave those who were  attending the dance the entire day to pamper or prepare themselves. Everyone from school couldn't stop posting about it either on Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat and it was getting annoying. I definitely planned on staying off social media for the rest of the day since I couldn't care less about what they were going to wear or who they were going with.

Except my circle of close friends. I knew exactly what each of them were planning on wearing and who they were going with. Stephen was going with some brunette chick that's a junior, who's been crushing on him since her first year here. Maria and Thomas decided to go with each other, since they didn't have anyone else to go with. Melanie was the only one that was going alone and I wanted to help her find a date but she insisted.

I came out of the shower not too long ago and was about to finish making myself a breakfast sandwich with egg, bacon and cheese. While I stood behind the island to stack the food on the toasted bread, Rebecca walked in as she yawned and rubbed her right eye. When she noticed me here, we fell into an incomprehensible trance.

"Good morning?" She greeted unsurely, throwing me a small smile as she took a seat on the stool.

I finished making my sandwich, not taking my eyes off her as I reached for my glass of lemonade. "Good morning."

Her dark red hair was pulled up in a bun so that it was away from her face. "I know we haven't really...talked in a few years but I can't help but to notice that you woke up late."

I shrugged before taking a bite of my sandwich. "No reason for me to be up early today since I'm not going to the ball or anything."

"What, really?" She raised her eyebrows, looking up from her phone that she had pulled out a few moments ago. "But it's your tradition to go to every ball or dance thrown."

"Not this year," I sighed, taking a sip of my lemonade. "But it's whatever, at least I have a date tonight."

"Ooo," she cooed playfully, a smirk dancing on her lips. "Date with who?"

I glanced at her from under my eyelashes, slightly uncomfortable from her acting like we weren't enemies for nearly four years. "Jack. You haven't met him."

She nodded before it grew silent between us, me chewing my sandwich away and her scrolling and texting on her phone. I know we called truce and all but it felt weird to be in the same room as her and not fight. I couldn't even remember the last time we bonded.

After I finished my food, I placed the plate in the sink and drank the remainder of my lemonade. Before I could walk out of the kitchen, Rebecca called my name.

"Yeah?" I asked, cranking my head over my shoulder.

"When you come back, let's smoke a blunt and eat some frozen yogurt? Maybe you can fill me in on tonight." She suggested, wiggling her eyebrows.