22 | unsafe

Around seven that night, I was preparing myself for the little dinner that my mom was hosting. Stacy was coming over along with Jaxson and Wendy. Just saying her name sent my brain somewhere and not a good place either. I sat on the edge of my bed as I slipped on my black boots that has gold spikes on the heel.

I was wearing a Nirvana crop top that exposed my flat, toned stomach with dark blue ripped jeans. My hair was loose and pin-straight, feeling it rest on my lower back as I bent over to put on the left boot. A dark shade of red lipstick was already coated on my lips. I decided it was time to go downstairs and get this dinner over with already.

As I came down the staircase, the aroma of tri-tip steak along with macaroni and mashed potatoes filled my nose and my stomach immediately responded with a growl. I could hear Stacy's girly laugh coming from the kitchen and the sound of my mom telling her a story about when she went out with my dad a few nights ago. I strutted into the kitchen, gaining their attention from the sound of my heels.

"Hey gorgeous!" Stacy brought up her arms, gesturing for me to go over to hug her. I couldn't help but sheepishly grin, heading over to where she was sitting at the kitchen island. I leaned down to her level to give her a quick hug, her hand rubbing circles on my back. "Your hair gets longer and longer every time I see you."

"It runs in the family." My mom chimed in with a grin, turning back at us for a brief second before flipping the steak on the pan.

"Yeah, until you decided to cut your hair." Stacy rolled her eyes at my mom before returning her focus back on me. The same blue eyes Wendy inherited from her gazed up at me, full of delight. "How are you, Violet? Are you still being a badass?"

"I was born a badass." I smoothly answered before winking at her and rounding the island. They both shared a chorus of laughter as I poured myself a cup of red wine with the bottle that was already placed outside. I took a few sips, leaning back on the counter near the stove.

That's when Wendy walked in, along with her brother. She was wearing a white blouse that hung off her shoulders with a nude mini skirt and nude wedges. Her hair was curled neatly around her shoulders and her lips were shaded a peach-pink color. The first person she noticed was me and of course, she deviously shot a smirk at me.

"Is dinner ready yet?" She questioned, her tone high-pitched and innocent. I had to hold myself back from rolling my eyes at her act of innocence.

"It won't be ready any sooner if you keep asking me that question." My mom turned her head at Wendy, her thick, golden blonde hair whipping behind her. She flapped her wrist at her with a forced laugh, "It's almost ready, relax."

I can tell that she wasn't really fond of Wendy. Like mother, like daughter.

"You guys go ahead and set the table for us." Stacy commanded, adverting her eyes between Wendy and I. Wendy and I exchanged glances, my eyebrows raising challengingly as I placed my glass of wine on the counter. We went ahead and grabbed about seven plates in total, as well as some fork and knives before heading out to the backyard's patio.

Underneath the patio's cover was the dinner table set up with eight seats surrounding it, although it's only seven of us. There were small candles placed on the center of the table and the air was fresh, creating a relaxing atmosphere. On the side was a small bar, where we had various amounts of liquor and wine bottles. Down from the patio was the long path to our open garden that was expansive in size, a three-layered water fountain being in the center of the garden.

When we went outside, none of us dared to say a word to each other. We prepared the table in silence, placing the eating utensils on top of a napkin next to each plate. I went back and forth to the bar to grab wine glasses to set on the table as well. When I finally placed the last one on the table, I turned in attempt to go back inside but ended up bumping into the dumb blonde instead.