27 | clueless

Grief and tears were heard everywhere in the funeral- Danielle's funeral. Tears were welling up in my eyes but I refused to let them fall. I sniffed my nose, holding the bouquet of white roses while stepping towards the closed coffin. From next to me, I can see Stephen's arm around Maria's shoulder as she cried into his chest. Thomas was standing next to them, all the color in his face drained along with his sad eyes. I looked back at the coffin, shutting my eyes. Only if I could see her one last time...

Finally acknowleding the fact that she's dead, I released the bouquet and it landed on the center of her coffin. A tear finally managed to escape, freely rolling down my cheek. I spun back around, my white dress twirling behind me. My dad pulled me into a comforting hug, rubbing my back up and down as I cried into his chest.

After the memorial service was over, we all scattered around and shared our sorrows with each other. I decided I needed some space so I walked a few feet away from the crowd and sat under a huge tree. The grass started to make a crunching sound and that's when I knew someone was walking up to me. I looked up slowly, my stained eyes landing on a long-haired, tanned boy that looked around my age. I never seen him before, he must be another friend of Danielle's or something.

He was wearing a white button up shirt, an expensive white blazer to go over it and black dress pants. His hair bounced around his shoulders with each step that he took. He was holding a red rose in his hand. I looked up at him questioningly as he kneeled down in front of me, thrusting the rose at me. His extremely dark brown eyes were full of sorrow as he stared into my puffy ones.

He forced a sweet smile at me but you could see that it was hurting him to even smile. I grabbed the rose from him, looking down at it. I always loved red roses. He stood from his position with one last smile, turning to walk away. His open blazer was whipping behind his back as the wind blew through it. I watched his retreating back, realizing that I won't ever see him again.

"Wait!" I called out to him. He turned around, his face remaining blank and dull. "What's your name?"

He smiled sincerely, shoving his hands in his pants pockets. "My name's Ryder."

I bolted out of my sleep, sitting up on my bed and looking around my room. Then, I let out a deep breath when I realized it was just one of those flashback dreams. The moonlight shined through my balcony doors, one of them cracked open. Deciding I needed something to drink, I threw my comforters off my body, the cold temperature from outside hitting my bare skin. I was only wearing a black tank top and my burgundy Cashmere sweatpants. I quickly slipped into my black robe and headed downstairs.

While I poured myself a glass of red wine, I heard distant voices coming from the living room. It sounded like my parents were arguing about something. What could they be arguing about at four in the morning?

Quietly, I closed the bottle of wine and slipped it back into the wine cellar. With the glass in my hand, I peeked my head out of the pathway to analyze what was going on. My parents were standing in front of the tall windows, both of their backs facing me.

"Just because Rebecca is on parol doesn't mean we have to bail her out." My dad argued, his arms strictly crossed on his chest.

"Xavier, that's not fair. She's our daughter too!"

"Yeah but our daughter attempted murder on our youngest daughter, you need to understand that!" He whispered-shouted, throwing his hands up in exasperation. My mom shook her head deniably, taking a long sip of her wine. "We can't let Violet live under the same roof as a murderer."