A Change is Gonna Come

Start from the beginning

"Girl-on-girl honeymoon." Alex smirked at the idea.

"And then Alex took a road trip to see Ava without me." Izzie continued. "And Beth went to California with Lucas and Joel, without me."

"I did not go to see Ava." Alex shook his head. "And her name's Rebecca. And I didn't go see her. I just drove in that direction."

"And it was a vacation." I reminded her. "Sort of like a family vacation, but not."

"Oh, why is everyone so tingly and hurt?" Cristina asked. "I mean, I'm the one who was left at the altar.  I'm fine, by the way. I honeymooned in Hawaii and I snorkeled."

"What'd you do, George?" Izzie asked George.

"Um, Meredith..." George looked to the dirty blonde. "I-I really need to take to you."

"You want to know-" Meredith began.

"Hey, um, this is for residents only. No interns." Cristina said when she spotted some of our interns heading this way, going to take a seat. 

"Yeah, get outta here." Izzie yelled at them, sending all of them hurrying out of the hallway to find somewhere else to have their lunch. 

"Double o sevens in training." Alex called after them.

"Seriously." Cristina nodded in agreement. 

"I guess I should be going, too." George said. 

"No, George. We didn't mean you." Meredith tried to stop him.

"No, I'm an intern." George reminded us as he followed after the other interns. 

"Wait. What did you want to tell me?" Meredith yelled after him, but he didn't tell her. 

"Is this how it's gonna be all year?" Cristina asked. "Because Bambi has got to learn how to cope."

"At least he came back." I shook my head. 

"Yeah, cut him some slack." Meredith sighed.

"Dude, he failed his exam and got left back in kindergarten." Alex said. 

"He won't even look at me." Izzie frowned. 

"Have you seen Burke?" Meredith asked Cristina.

"No." She shook her head. "Have you seen Derek?"

"No." Meredith shook her head. 

"Wait, you haven't seen either of them since the wedding?" Izzie looked between them. 

"Nope." They both answered.

"And you're all fine?" Izzie raised a brow.

"Yep." They both nodded once more. 

"Wow. You're either incredibly healthy or completely messed up." Izzie commented before she looked to me. "So, how are you and Lucas? How was the trip?"

"We're, uh, okay." I shrugged, not sure about what to say. The entire trip things had been awkward between Lucas and I. After the wedding he had suggested the trip himself, telling me he had already requested the time off from work. I had hesitated to agree and that had seemed to be all it took to tell him that something was wrong, but neither of us wanted to talk about it. Neither of us wanted to have to face what had happened. He didn't want to know and I didn't want to have to tell him, tell him that Mark had kissed me, that I had kissed him back.

"You're hiding something." Alex accused me, narrowing his eyes slightly, trying to figure out what was going on. "What'd you do?"

"I have work to do." I shook my head as I got up.