Chapter Twenty Six

Hello! So, many people have asked if i'm going to continue my stories... and this is the answer! It will be slow (so i'll apologise now!) but I will complete and finish them! Thank you for everything and let me know how my writing is, it's been a while!

//

Demi bite nervously at her already bitten fingernails. A part of her was nervous. However, she also felt happy, she hadn't seen Wilmer smile as much as this since before family was taken away from him. Her mother was also beaming away as she drove them the short journey home.

They had stopped to pick up food on the way that only added a few minutes to their journey.

As the car came to a stop they all got out and headed towards the home. Dianna had already begun to set the table as she placed the pizza onto a large plate in the centre of the wooden oval shape. They sat in silence as they ate. The atmosphere around them could have been torn with a knife it was that thick. "

So" Dianna mentioned. She noticed their plates were empty and stood up to begin the washing.

"I'll do those" Wilmer offered. Dianna shook her head, allowing her eyes to focus on her daughter. He knew what she was requesting instead.

"Dem?" Wilmer said. She looked up to him.

"Wanna go upstairs?" He asked. He knew she wouldn't mind but he always asked first in case she ever wanted her space.

"Sure" she smiled. She reached for his hand as they began to descend the stairway. Wilmer kissed her lips forcefully before lifting her onto the bed and sitting besides her.

"So what's the news?" Demi asked bluntly. It was often everyone got out of the doing the dishes, especially her.

"Well..." Wilmer was completely stuck.

"Please just tell m--" she begged him. His hands were now firmly in hers.

"I brought a house" he allowed to be released out of his mouth. The words mumbling the second they left. His heart rate was escalating fastly as he watched her face for a reaction. Demi didn't know how to respond. The last time they spoke Wilmer had just been considering looking and within that short space of time he'd put down a deposit and now owned somewhere.

"I just need to be alone" she said calmly. Wilmer nodded. He kissed her forehead and shut the door behind him as he did as she wished.

"How did she take it?" Dianna asked as soon as she saw Wilmer come closer to her. she had almost finished the dishes but watched as he soon begun to dry them with the cloth in silence. "She'll come round" Dianna added. Wilmer nodded to himself.

He didn't know what to say or do to make things better. He just knew that he needed to be independent now that he was alone. Deep down he knew he'd never be completely alone as he'd always have Demi and Dianna but right now he just wanted to feel like in case it was to be taken away he wouldn't have nothing. And this house for him meant he had a future. A future he hoped he could have brought Demi into.

"I think I'm going to go to the house for tonight" he said almost missing he hadn't. He knew demi needed time and so did he. His new house had come with basic furniture so he wouldn't be sleeping uncomfortable that night.

Dianna wanted to intervene but she knew better. "If you need anything, give me a call okay?" She replied. He smiled and took one of the duvets from the couch with him as he walked the short distance to new his apartment.

//

An hour later Dianna hesitantly knocked on Demi's door. She hadn't moved from the room since Wilmer left. She understood how her daughter was feeling, she had learned that much when she spoke to her last. But she also understood how Wilmer felt. She had seen his face lighten up for the first time in weeks since the funeral when he looked at his own place.

"Yes?" She replied back.

"You okay?" Dianna asked. She sat on the edge of the bed, watching her daughter curled up against her pillows with a laptop placed firmly on her lap. She could see she was trying to distract herself from anything and everything. She even had a few science books spread out around her in a holy circle.

Demi nodded, keeping mute. She hadn't quite figured out herself how she felt. Numb would be a good description for now.

"You know, I went with him right?" Dianna said. It hid a cord as she saw her daughter make eye contact with her for the first time since she entered. "He spent the whole time worried you'd be like angry, like you are now..." she continued.

"Really?" Demi moved the laptop the space besides her. She shuffled and sat up to listen.

"Yes sweetheart. I know it's hard but maybe you should hear him out" She proposed, hoping her daughter would do just that.

"I'm not supposed to go out after 9 on a school night." she said quietly to herself, but loud enough her mom could hear. Nothing would have made her happier than to speak to him now.

"Demetria..." Her mother scolded her.

"Please mom, I just want to make things right" Demi begged her; it was a rare but impossible moment for Dianna.

"Fine" She sighed loudly. She trusted her daughter, and she trusted the man she would be seeing.

"Thank you, thank you" Demi skipped across the bed, throwing her arms tightly around her mom shoulders.

Demi stood up and grabbed her bag; she checked she had her phone inside so she could contact her mom if she needed too. "Take some pjs." Her mom told her. Demi nodded. She didn't want to ask why she was suddenly allowed to spend time with him or why her opinions had changed on them staying in the same room together, she didn't want to jinx anything right now.

She kissed her mom's cheek as she left and walked the short journey to Wilmer's new apartment. It was a block that had been built recently in the last few years to help develop the area, and with the growing school district it only impacted matters.

She carefully checked the numbers on the doors until she found the one her mom had informed her was Wilmer's. She felt nervous all of a sudden. A fear went through her mind that he'd open the door and shut it straight away when it was her who was revealed.

She knocked and took a deep breath. She waited a few seconds before it opened. There he stood on the other side. Silent.

"Wilmer..."