Chapter Twenty Five

Hello! Thank you for all the support on my stories recently and bearing with the bad update schedule! This is more of a filler chapter but the next chapter will obviously contain drama!

//

It had been several weeks since Wilmer's grandparent's funeral. There wasn't a moment he wasn't thinking about them and what they were missing yet he knew he had a reason to be strong, his girl. Demi had captured him in a way that would never be broken.

"Wilmer are you ready?" Dianna asked as she grabbed her bag and secured it over her shoulder. She had her car keys in one hand and a couple of pages of paper in the other.

Wilmer nodded. Demi was already at school for the day and they were going to be apartment searching for Wilmer. He loved being with them but wanted his own space and Dianna understood more than Demi had when he approached the subject last night over dinner.

"Because I'm supporting this you don't think I want you gone do you?" Dianna asked. Demi had spoken to her last night and put the idea into her mind when she immedently agreed to help him if he needed it.

Wilmer was sitting uncomfortably in the seat as they drove towards the first viewing. He shuffled around at her comment. "No, of course not" he replied almost instantly back. "I just want my own space...no offensive ma'am" He tried to explain without stuttering. In just under two months he would be graduating from high school and knew that college wasn't something he wanted to do. His grandparents had left him enough funds that if he wanted too he could with easy support. However, it wasn't for him. He knew that.

"I understand, you want your own place," She said and he nodded firmly. He knew Demi wasn't happy as she barely acknowledged him before she left for school that morning. When he leaned in to kiss her lips she turned her face so he caught her cheek. "Don't worry about Demi. She'll come around" she could practically read the look on his face, the worried expression only her daughter would give him.

"She doesn't cope well with change." Dianna continued. Wilmer was one of the few people she felt that she could talk about daughter too. Despite only being a few years older than her, he understood her as well as she did. He knew every mood, every way to anger and calm her down. He learned what made her happy and what didn't. "She likes you a lot you know" She smiled softly before continuing her focus back on the road and looking for the sign they needed to know where to go next.

"I know" Wilmer replied. Despite everything that had happened she was the one thing that had kept him going. He never showed emotions even to his grandparents but Demi was the first to see him 'weak'.

They had arrived at the first apartment to view. It was located in a nice area with a few plants outside. Inside the plan was simple of consisted of enough space for one person. Everything had tightly woven together. "What do you think?" Dianna asked. She had rung up a friend who owed her a favor hence why they got these properties to look at such short notice. She also knew her friend wouldn't overcharge him, being his age as well he needed a consenting guardian to confirm it and Dianna had been only obliged to say yes and support him in whatever he needed.

"It's too small" He said quietly not wanting to sound pompous to this man he'd never met before.

Dianna nodded in agreement. "Steve, next one please" She told him. He smiled and took them back outside and into the car towards the next property.

They pulled up to what seemed like the 100th property they had viewed in one morning. In terms of cost the rent was a little bit more than the others, but it was easy to see why. It had recently been through a modern upgrade. All the furniture was new and matched the black and white scheme than ran throughout the small home. The kitchen was in combination with a dining table that seated four. The bedroom was at the back of the house, through a small corridor that led to the master bathroom and another small room presumably used as a study. Through the window in the bedroom you could see park where nature was constantly present.

"I like it" Wilmer replied. Dianna agreed with him. It had such a nice vibe about the place; a fresh start was what he needed. It was also the closest in terms of locations to hers and Demi's home that would be helpful for when Demi came over often and vice versa. Wilmer signed a couple of forms there and then inside what would be his new home and was handed the keys.

They got back into Dianna's car seeing it was already time to go pick Demi up. as they waited outside in the queue besides the road for school to finish Wilmer sighed loudly, a worried expression on his face.

"What's wrong, is it the apartment?" Dianna asked. She was worried he'd done too much too soon. They always say to never to make any big decisions after someone dies.

Wilmer repositioned himself in the chair, pulling the seatbelt slightly from his chest. "I'm worried how Demi is going to react..." He said simply. The guilt in his eyes was evident. They'd been each other's saviors for such different complex reasons.

"Just let her know you're not leaving okay?" this was her best advice she could offer. The memories of her ex-husband leaving still haunted her to this day. They had scarred Demi in ways she couldn't imagine.

Within a few minutes the car door opened and Demi climbed inside. Her bag was thrown besides her and she leant forward to kiss her moms cheek and then a quick peck on Wilmer lips obvious that her mom was staring.

"How do you guys fancy pizza? We're eating out tonight we're celebrating" Dianna announced. Wilmer was thankful he could tell Demi the news in a restaurant. There was a less chance she'd storm off.

"Ooo what are we celebrating?" Demi asked curious.

"You'll find out soon dear" Her mom replied without any hints.