19

//Update (7/18/20): Hehe I completely reconstructed this chapter, enjoy.

~

Kid's POV

"F/n!" a blond-haired boy yelled as he ran toward her. The boy's emerald eyes looked frantic as his arms were outstretched as if he was motioning to hug her. F/n visibly tensed, both Soul, Evelyn, and I taking notice. Soul dropped his arm to his side and was about to pull F/n away with him as Evelyn reached for her as well, them both being outdone by my startlingly fast reflexes. 

I gripped her wrist ran with her through the corridors faster than the speed of light, failing to consider the consequences of my actions, only thinking about protecting the woman in front of me from impending danger. Once we were hidden a safe distance away, we both grasped our knees and panted, a chuckle rising to my throat as I looked toward the ceiling gleefully.

"You know, I thought the only person I'd be running from these days would be Elizabeth." F/n's uncomfortable disposition dissapated as she melted into a fit of giggles and stood up straight, running her fingers through her messy h/c hair as her e/c eyes locked with my flaming gold ones. 

'God, she's perfect. Having her around is dangerous, my heart is growing far too weak for her once again.'

"Oh? Death the Kid is talking shit about his girlfriend, someone needs to alert the press!" I laughed even harder at her comment, it abruptly coming to a halt as I heard the sound of loud stomping from down the hall. Shit, shit shit. Although I never wanted my time with her to end, she couldn't afford to comply with my selfish desires. 

"F/n, I need you to run, okay? Go run to the classroom and sit with Soul."

"W-what?" It looks like reality hit her hard too, a look of disbelief crossing her face as her walls once again erected. "Why should I trust you of all people!? Death, I didn't even think that you knew my name and now you're trying to 'save me'? And from what, might I add, your girlfriend?!" she asked while raising her voice, air quoting the words 'save me'. "Totally makes sense, bud."

I tried to ignore how much her words stung, allowing my carefully crafted mask to once again conceal the remnants of my personality. "Shut up and listen," I grumbled as harshly as I could muster, the footsteps growing louder. "Get out of here, okay? Just trust me this one time, and I'll get out of your hair. Deal?" I asked, putting my hand out towards her.

"Deal," she sighed, using her index finger and thumb to tug my hand up and down as if it were filthy. As she turned to run I grabbed her wrist selfishly, preventing her from once again increasing the distance between us. "What is it? What's so important?" She drew her wrist back to her small form, pressing it up against her chest as a look of fear crossed over her beautifully symmetrical features.

'What am I thinking? I can't do this, if we regain the bond we once had, it'll only hurt her more. I can't be the person I want to be and the person who satiates Liz's desires--it's impossible.' I thought to myself before allowing myself only a moment of indulgence, sliding the mask off only partially to show F/n a sliver, a remnant, of the boy she once knew.

"I just wanted to let you know that I think you look beautiful with or without makeup," I muttered loud enough for her to hear, an image of her natural looks popping into my mind. A small blush crossed her cheeks as she turned and ran, her muttering a small phrase before she left.

"You're not so bad yourself, stripey." I ignored the reference to my asymmetry just this once in the effort to revel in the overwhelming feelings of embarrassment and joy that flooded my system.

God, how I've missed you F/n.