Chapter 48

Chapter 48

       I woke up to the smell of pancakes, but I was too lazy to get out of bed, especially because Isadora was still sleeping. Then again, I loved food and was starving, so I gently got out of bed and walked to the kitchen.

       Seb was at the stove, making pancakes. "Is there eggs, too?" I asked.

       "Nope," Seb said. "Just pancakes. I wanted to make eggs, but no, Artie didn't want eggs."

       "You know you could make eggs and not give her some, right?" I asked.

       "Nope," Seb said again. "Apparently, the smell is to nauseating for her. So she told me I can't make eggs."

       I sat down at the table. "You should make eggs anyway. Defy her. Be a rebel."

       "Yeah, I'd rather not," Seb said. "She'd probably kill me. I really can't wait for our daughter to be born and I'm actually tempted not to have any more kids if he other pregnancies are like this."

       "What makes you so sure you'll have more kids?" I asked. "Artemis seems pretty against it."

       Seb just sighed. "Her mood swings are such a pain. Oh, and speaking of pain, when you take the canoe at, be careful of those twerps."

       "I already told you that their canoe is flipping over this time," I said. "They're not winning this year."

       "They better not," Seb said. "I'm sick of those brats."

       "You and me both," I said.

       I heard feet shuffling to the kitchen and it turned out to be Artemis. I wouldn't be surprised if Isadora slept all day. I had yet another nightmare and she refused to fall asleep unless I did.

       Artemis sat down at the table, rubbing her eyes. "Seb, I want scrambled eggs," she whined.

       "You told me not to make scrambled eggs because of the smell," Seb said.

       "I can handle the smell now," Artemis said. "Please make me some."

       Seb sighed. "Sure." After he finished with the pancakes, he handed two on a plate to me and two to Artemis. The others he stacked on another plate as he started making eggs.

       However, shortly after the eggs were cooking, Artemis began gagging. "Seb, why are you making eggs?" she asked. "The smell is making me sick."

       "What?" Seb asked. "But you told me...." He stopped and turned off the stove. "You know what? I'm done. I am going for a very long walk outside and won't be back for a while." And just like that, he left.

       "What's his problem?" Artemis asked.

       "Probably his pregnant wife who doesn't know how to make up her mind or stop complaining," I said.

       Artemis glared at me. "I don't complain."

       I snorted. "Right."

       Isadora then came out of the bedroom, yawning as she rubbed her eyes. "Morning, Dax," she said.

       "Good morning," I said, kissing her cheek when she sat down. "Did you get enough sleep last night? Again, I'm sorry."

       "It's fine," she said. "And yes, I did get enough sleep. I probably fell asleep within a minute after you did."

       "Oh, okay, good," I said. "You hungry?"

       "Not really," she said, reaching for an apple in the fruit basket sitting on the center of the table. "I'll just eat this apple."