Chapter 26

Chapter 26

       At the beginning of school, I found Isadora at our locker, grabbing her things for her first class. We started sharing my locker after we started dating because hers was so far from all of her classes and mine was closer.

       "Hey," I said, leaning against the locker beside it.

       Isadora just gave me a smile that seemed sort of sad. "Hey...."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "Are you okay?" I asked.

       Isadora sighed. "Not really. It's my sister's birthday. Well, it would be, but....you know. I'm just not in a good mood today."

       I gave her a sympathetic smile and pulled her into a hug. "I'm sorry you lost her," I said softly. "I know what it feels like, believe me."

       "I know," she said, hugging me back. "Thanks."

       I pulled away from her. "I actually got something for you," I said.

       "What? Why?" she asked, looking very confused.

       I shrugged and pulled it out of my pocket, though I kept my hand enclosed around it so she couldn't see. "Seb and I went with Artemis to get her mom a birthday present, which is next week, and I saw this and thought you would like it."

       I opened my hand to show her the necklace I got her.

       "Dax," she said speechlessly. "It's beautiful. It must have cost you a fortune."

       "It wasn't too expensive," I said. "You're worth it, though."

       Isadora smiled genuinely, and there was no sadness behind it at all. "Can you put it on me?" she asked. I nodded, so she turned around and I attached the necklace around her neck. When she turned around again, she smiled even brighter and pulled me into a hug. "I love you, Dax."

       I was a bit shocked to hear that, but there was no doubt that I felt the same way. "I love you too," I said, right as the bell rang. "And now we have to go to class. How fun."

       Isadora pulled away and gave me an eye roll. "I know."

       "I'll walk you to class," I said. She smiled again, and I closed the locker after taking my notebooks out. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and we started walking to her first class. She had a science, and so did I, so they weren't too far from each other.

       Class went the same; boring and made me want to hit my head constantly on the desk. As soon as it ended, I packed up my stuff and headed over to Isadora's classroom. As soon as she walked out, I intertwined my hand in hers. 

       Our English class went by pretty fast since we basically just got into a class discussion for the whole period. When it was lunch, we went to the cafeteria and to our normal table to sit down. I pulled out my lunch and sighed once I saw what was in it. Seb really had to stop packing my lunch.