Chapter 39

I have never been to court and only watched a few on TV, so I have no idea how this thing works. I tried researching, but I just did a project for English and I am done with research, so just roll with it. cx

Chapter 39

       My bedroom door slowly creaked open, making me groan as whoever dared to enter my room turned on the lights. I looked over to see who did it, only to see Seb. He was dressed up fancier than normal. "What?" I asked.

       "You forgot, didn't you?" he said.

       "Well, excuse me for just waking up," I said. "Happy birthday, shithead."

       Seb sighed. "Okay, I'm not that big of a shithead to wake you up just so you could wish me a happy birthday. Dad's trial. It's today."

       I laid back down and covered my face with the pillow. "I don't want to go."

       Seb walked over and took the pillow out of my grasp. "Dax, I know it's going to be hard for you to see Dad, but they said you and I have to testify."

       "He's a jackass and a bastard," I said. "I can't see him, Seb. You know what I had to go through because of him. I don't want those memories coming back."

       "I know," Seb said. "But if we don't go, they'll probably grant him his parole."

       I looked down, knowing Seb was right. If I went, I had to face my father and no doubt those stupid voices would appear. But if I didn't go, they wouldn't hold anything against my dad and probably grant him the parole.

       "Can I see if Isadora could come?" I asked. "For support?"

       "Yeah, of course," Seb said. "Call her, then get ready. I thought you were already up and we kind of have to leave in, like, fifteen minutes."

       Seb left, closing the door behind him. I grabbed my cell phone off of the nightstand and called Isadora. Luckily, she was awake and she agreed on coming for support. That was one of the many things about her. I know she liked staying home on Saturdays, but she was still coming to support me.

       I got changed, then went to the kitchen to get something to eat. Artemis was already eating a lot of food. I noticed that her appetite changed drastically and she was usually very hungry. And she was always craving ketchup. I once saw her eat a small bowl-full of ketchup. By itself.

       Pregnancy was weird.

       "Isadora said she'll come," I told Seb, who was peeling a banana.

       "Okay, we'll pick her up on the way," Seb said. "And tuck in your shirt."

       "No."

       "Tuck it in," Seb repeated.

       "Make me."

       Seb sighed loudly. "Dax, just tuck in your fucking shirt. We have to look our fucking best so it looks like we fucking care and Dad won't get his fucking parole."

       "Seb," Artemis said. "Stop swearing. She can hear you."

       Seb raised an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure our baby can't hear me swear. And I'll swear all I want until this idiot tucks his fucking shirt in."

       "Alright, alright, I'll tuck it in," I muttered as I stood up from the table to tuck in my stupid shirt. "You sure are grouchy today."

       "Yeah, I wonder why," Seb said. "I have to go to a hearing to see if our dad can get a parole on my fucking birthday. I'd rather spend it a different way like, I don't know, jumping off a cliff or anything. I don't want to see my dad."