Chapter 28

Chapter 28

       Seb pulled into the parking lot of the school and turned to look at me. "Will you be okay today?" he asked.

       I just gave him a flat look. "You've been asking me that every day. What do you think the answer is?"

       Seb sighed. "I just want you to be okay. Look, I know how hard this is for you, but...."

       "No, you don't," I said. "You don't know what it feels like for your girlfriend to not remember you at all. I would have been find if she forgot up to the part where we started dating, but she doesn't even remember me being her best friend. So stop trying to act all sympathetic when you know nothing."

       I quickly got out of the car and slammed the door behind me. I didn't even want to be at school today, just like all the other days. Isadora hasn't been in school yet because she was still in the hospital, which only made school days worse for me.

       Not to mention that when I did visit Isadora, things were a bit weird, I guess. She just thought I was her best friend, but I wasn't.

       I walked into the school and began walking to my locker, but I stopped at what I saw. Apparently, Isadora was out of the hospital. And she was at school. Talking to Collin.

       Isadora smiled and hugged him before he walked away, so I walked up to her. "What are you doing here?" I asked. "More importantly, why were you talking to Collin?"

       "I was released from the hospital yesterday," she said. "And my dad thought it would help if I came to school because familiar environments might trigger my memory."

       "Okay, but why were you talking to Collin?" I asked again.

       "Because he's my boyfriend."

       Wait.

       WHAT?!

       "I'm sorry, did you just say Collin is your boyfriend?" I asked.

       "Yeah," Isadora said. "I was trying to find my locker and he helped me and he told me he was my boyfriend. I wish my dad told me I had one. It would help me remember."

       "Collin isn't your boyfriend," I said.

       Isadora furrowed her eyebrows. "But why would he lie to me about that?"

       "Because he's a grade-A pain in the ass," I said. One who was probably going to get a serious beat down soon....

       "Yeah, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't lie about that," Isadora said. "I mean, what's the point of lying about it when I'm probably going to remember everything anyway?"

       "Because he's a pain in the ass," I repeated. "Isadora, you have to believe me. That guy isn't your boyfriend. You hate him and you always will."

       The bell rang just then. "I should probably get to class," she said. "But I'll see you later, Max."

       "It's Dax," I corrected. Hearing her get my name wrong only hurt me even more. I visited her in the hospital everyday and she didn't even remember my name.

       "Right," she said. "I knew that. Do you, by chance, know where my class is?"

       "Yeah. I'll walk you there," I said.

       Even leading her to her class was slowly killing me because originally, I would hold her hand or have her arm around her shoulder, but I couldn't. I did wish I told her I was her boyfriend, but I couldn't put pressure on her to be in a relationship she didn't remember, but now Collin was messing that up.