Chapter 14

I'm sorry to say this, but.... *trigger warning*

I'm serious, this chapter might (most likely) be hard to handle, so read at your own risk. I'll insert a summary of the chapter in the author's note just in case any of you are skipping this.

I'm sorry.

Chapter 14

       I walked into my English class on Monday, resting my head on my desk as soon as I sat down. I haven't got that much sleep recently. I was up at nights thinking about Isadora, to be honest. She was my best friend, my only friend, and me liking her might ruin that, especially if she didn't like me back.

       I wanted to tell her, but I knew it wasn't the best thing right now. I was still going through a lot and I didn't know if I could handle a relationship right now.

       But....I couldn't help thinking about her all the time. She was so gorgeous and sweet and amazing. I had never been so comfortable around anyone before. All of last year, I didn't have anyone to hang out with at school since both Seb and Artemis weren't there anymore, but it was different now.

       I just hoped things wouldn't get messed up. Then again, as long as I kept my feelings to myself, it should be fine, especially since we kissed and nothing was awkward between us. In fact, it was like it almost didn't happen.

       "Hey," Isadora said as she sat down beside me in her desk. "You okay?"

       "I'm tired," I muttered, keeping my head on my desk. "I didn't get much sleep."

       "Why?" she asked.

       I shrugged, not wanting to tell her the truth. "Don't worry, it had nothing to do with my schizophrenia. I just found it hard to fall asleep. It happens."

       Isadora was about to say something else, but the bell rang, so Mr. Garner stood at the front of the class. "Good morning, class," he said. "How was your weekend?"

       Everyone muttered, "Good," in response.

       Mr. Garner rolled his eyes. "I see a lot of you are still tired," he said. "Well, I have to quickly go to the copier room to get today's worksheet, so talk among yourself. And I better not see a cell phone out when I come back."

       As soon as he left, Collin spoke up. "Yeah, Dax. Better not see a cell phone. But, knowing you, you're going to use it and not get in trouble. I wonder why's that."

       I didn't even bother saying anything to him. I was too tired to argue, so I kept my head rested on my desk.

       Isadora hooked her arm through mine and rested her head on my shoulder, making me suck in a breath. She did this a lot but since I realized I liked her, it felt a lot different.

       "How was your weekend?" she asked.

       "Okay," I replied. "I moved into an apartment with Seb and Artemis. And apparently she's pregnant, so I'm going to be an uncle. Seb's excited."

       Isadora smiled at me. "That's good, right?"

       I shrugged.

       "What's wrong?" she asked, her smile turning into a concerned look.

       I sighed. "I'm happy for them, really. I know how much my brother wants a baby, but....He'll be focusing on the baby more than me, not to sound selfish."

       "Dax, he won't forget about you," Isadora said.

       There was a chance he would. After all, he forgot about me when he went on the road trip....