Chapter 17

I walked into the cafeteria, which was mostly empty apart from Marcelo, who was busy eating a cupcake and Sergio and Iker who were sitting across from him, telling him to go easy.

I stood at the entrance just looking at them, they've been like my family and my best friends for years, they looked out for me, they even cut all connections with me without asking any questions so that I can be at peace. In that moment I realised that no matter what I did, I could never make up for the missed years, I missed the birth of their children, I wasn't there when they needed me the most and I have always regretted my decision of leaving Madrid in haste, but seeing them here, like this, I felt selfish and I hated myself for leaving, the way I did.

My thoughts were interrupted by a sugar high Marcelo waving both his hands at me and shouting my name.

"COLI ARE YOU DEAFFFF?" he shouted with his mouthful.

"No, Celo, not yet" I said laughing as I reached their table, I looked at Iker and Sergio who were signalling something to me. "What?" I mouthed at them.

"Marcelo" Iker mouthed back. I frowned in confusion and then realised what they were trying to say.

I dropped my bag onto the chair and looked at Marcelo who was busy eating a chocolate shell donut. "Marcelo, put the donut down. Zizou is right outside and the team is on a strict diet starting today." I said warning him.

On hearing Zizou's name, Marcelo dropped the donut and his eyes darted towards the door. "What? He wasn't supposed to be here for the next 25 minutes!" he frowned looking at his watch. I looked at Marcelo and then at Iker and Sergio who were chuckling.

"Coli, are you sure it was Zizou? Because, Pepe is bald.. and tall." he said licking the chocolate from on top of the donut and then taking a small bite.

"Marcelo! Number 1, I can differentiate between Zinedine Zidane and Pepe and Number 2, Drop the donut and give me your plate!" I scolded him, I could never not remember a Marcelo who wasn't cheating on his diet unless someone was monitoring his every meal.

"Por favor, Colito. You always used to let me have sneak sweets in Madrid." he pouted, holding the edge of his plate tightly.

"She used to let everyone have sneak sweets, Loco" said Sergio.

"But, in moderate amount" Iker added "And you have eaten a week worth of refined sugar calories on behalf of the entire team, Celo."

"You'll get diabetes, Celo and then you'll not be able to play football. Do you want that to happen?" I asked, sitting down next to him.

"Okay, just this one last donut, please." he finally gave in, picking up the donut and pushing a plateful of cupcakes, donuts and mini pastries towards Sergio.

Before they could say anything some of the other players started entering the cafeteria. Gareth came and hugged him "Good morning, Col" he smiled. Luka and a couple of others hugged and greeted me.

"Sese, that is something I expect from Celo, not you." Gareth said pointing at the plate in front Sergio. Before Sergio could defend his case, Luka added "Sese, you're supposed to set an example for the boys, you're vice capi" he shook his head in disapproval and the others agreed.

"But-" Sergio tried to say something but got interrupted by Cristiano. "And Capi?" he turned to Iker "You're supporting this?" he said making Iker frown. All of them were trying to hold back laughs and some were snorting. Almost the entire had gathered around their table and were participating in teasing Sergio and Iker.

Typical Madrid, she smiled to herself, before getting up. "All right, Blancos. Hold your Seriker jokes back and stop teasing your Captain, Vice Captain and ... Marcelo. Sergio, give that plate to me, and Marcelo, go drink two cups of green tea and nothing else. As for the rest of you" I turned to look at them all "Go and eat your breakfast now, you guys all what to eat and what not to eat and the quantities to be consumed. Drink a lot of cold fluids and do not, I repeat do not touch the cupcakes or the pastries or the donuts and all the other things you're not supposed to eat for that matter or you'll find yourself drinking extra cups of green tea with Marcelo. And where are Dani and Isco?" I asked looking around. They all looked at each other, 
"They're roommates." Rafael Varane said trying to help.