Chapter 6

HEY ALL YOU KIND PEOPLE WHO ARE TAKING THE TIME OUT TO READ THIS ONE MESS OF A STORY! I'M VERY GRATEFUL. PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR NOT UPDATING SINCE FOREVER, I WON'T, LIKE MANY OTHER WRITERS HERE SAY THAT MY LIFE HAS BEEN A MESS, BUT TRUTH BE TOLD, IT HAS BEEN.  ANYWAY, THIS CHAPTER IS GOING TO BE SMALL BUT CRUCIAL AND I PROMISE TO FOLLOW IT UP WITHIN THE SPAN OF SEVEN DAYS AND I WILL TRY TO KEEP MY UPDATES WEEKLY. PLEASE HANG IN THERE, VOTE AND LEAVE COMMENTS IF YOU LIKE THE STORY. 

THANKS A TON AND IT'S THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS, DIWALI HERE IN INDIA. I WISH YOU ALL A DAY FULL OF THINGS THAT MAKE YOU THE HAPPIEST. MUCH LOVE, GINI x

Spencer's POV (Madrid 2010)

I let myself into the house, and parked my luggage in the foyer, suddenly grateful for the small pleasure of a home that was just as I'd left it 3 months ago and of sharing it with the man I love. I looked around and smiled to myself at the thought of him asleep, on his stomach, snoring lightly onto the pillow; consistent, soft snores. I made my way up the stairs to our bedroom, unable to contain my excitement at the thought of surprising him as I have arrived two weeks earlier than expected. The work in Kashmir after the attack on the non-muslims was much less than anticipated, the loss of life was less and the government had somehow managed to find stability with the muslim leaders and the non-muslim population. The MSF team finished their work in 3 months instead of 4, which everyone was glad about because they'd be all with their family in time for the holidays. I walked towards the end of the corridor to our room, I smiled at the thought of snuggling up in bed next to him while he held me tightly; my safest place in the world. I slowly opened the door aware of the fact that he was a light sleeper and probably tired after the game last night, which the team had won with him scoring all three goals. Best in the world, they don't call him that for no reason. And there he was, asleep, on his stomach, snoring lightly just as I imagined every night before going to bed 6,748 kms away from him. His handsome face covered in calm and satisfaction. I was so deeply consumed by the sight of him that I failed to notice that he wasn't the only one asleep in our bed. There she was; a tan woman asleep comfortably next to him and his arms around her, holding her in place, tightly. My safe haven was no longer a place of refuge, it was desecrated and gone, forever. I didn't feel pain or hurt or anger or betrayal, I just felt numb. I wanted to run away, but the signals from my brain didn't reach my legs. I stood there frozen at the sight, unable to feel anything. I stood there looking at them, together, again and again and again, not taking my eyes off, as if mentally telling myself that this is the reality, what I thought and felt was an elaborate lie and a series of misread signals and suddenly, I felt everything all at once; the pain, the hurt, the anger, the betrayal and those  were the signals that my nerves transmitted to my limbs and I collapsed onto the ground letting out a loud, unexpected sound which might've sounded like a sob to anyone who heard it but it was the sound of my heart, shattering. Before another one of those ugly sounds came out, I put my hand on my mouth so that I don't wake either of them up and found the strength in my body to get up but as I lifted my head up, I saw him, looking at him, with an unreadable expression on his face, looking at him looking at me like that gave me the strength to get up and run out of the room. I ran, as fast as I could. 

"Nicole! Por favor, stop. Nicole, listen  to me", he cried as he ran after me. I didn't turn to look back at him or stopped, not because I was disgusted but because I knew that he had the power over me to stop me from leaving the house and him. I reached the foyer and saw my luggage just as I had left it, waiting near the door, ready to go. I opened the door and grabbed my bag but as soon as I stepped out of the house, he grabbed my arm from behind.

"Nicole, por favor, don't leave. I'm sorry.", he pleaded but I didn't turn to look to him instead I looked as far away from his direction as I could and tried to free him arm from his hold which was useless. 

"Nicole, I love you", he said sounding almost genuine and making my heart stop. Somehow instead of making me melt, it made me angry and that is when I submitted to his hold and turned to look at him. "No, Cristiano, you don't.", his hold on my arm has loosened as a result of my turning back to look at him and before he could retaliate, I turned away from him towards my car, I threw my bags in, started the engine and looked at him for the last time, world's greatest footballer, Cristiano Ronaldo, standing in his driveway in a pair of boxers, unable to find the words that could stop me from leaving, I looked at him for the last time as I drove out of his driveway and his life.