Chapter Thirty Nine: Mean Girls And Missed Messages

Samantha's POV
It was midnight when Cameron dropped me off at my house. I felt my hands shake as I pushed open the door, seeing my whole family sitting in the living room.

My mother walked up to me and hugged me. I tried not to cry because I knew he was there.

I stared in his eyes for a few seconds. "We should leave you alone." My mother said, leading Shawn and my step father out of the room.

"Samantha Leigh." My father said, standing up. "I know I left you. I was stupid. I was scared. Nobody in their right mind would leave their child."

"But you did." I said, looking at my hands. "I know." He breathed. "But I want to be apart of your life now. I really do."

"How?" I asked, looking at him straight in the eyes. "Listen, Richard. You leave, my life goes on. How can you possibly be anything but the man that left me?"

My fathers breath shook. "I... I need to go. I have work in the morning." With that, he stomped out of the house, closing the door.

I breathed, tears falling down my face. "Hey." A voice said, coming off the stairs.

My step dad came down the stairs. "I'm sorry about him."

I laughed. "Sorry about what? Hey, listen. I learned to play basketball without him. I got pretty good at it too. I learned to drive, I made friends. I did everything without him. And this time, I won't be up all night asking 'where's daddy' or 'is he coming back'. You know what? TO HELL WITH HIM!" I screamed, looking out the window seeing him drive off.

I looked at my step dad. "How come he doesn't want me?" I cried. I heard my step dad sigh, pulling me into a hug.

"Samantha. Listen. I know I'm only your step father, and I can't really be the same as your birth father, but trust me when I say this: You are everything I want in a daughter and more. You're beautiful, talented, smart, funny. You're compassionate. And I love you so much." My step dad said, rubbing my back.

I felt myself smile. "I love you too. Dad." I felt my shoulders relax as soon as the last word left my mouth. I had always wanted to call somebody that. Anyone. Now I finally could.

My step dad pulled back from the hug, and put his hands on either side of my face. "Now you go get some sleep kiddo, you have school tomorrow." He said, kissing my forehead.

I smiled as I started up the stairs. "But Daaaaaaadd..... Do I have tooooo?..." I whined, smiling at him.

"Don't 'dad' me missy! Now up to your room! Hup two, three, four, let me hear you!" He said, smiling.

"I don't know what I've been told! My mom is gonna kill me for sure." I said, marching up the stairs. "Sound off!" My step dad called. "One, two!" 

"I can't hear you!" "THREE, FOUR!" I yelled. "WOULD YA SHUDUP!!" My mom and Shawn yelled in unison. My step dad and I laughed. "Night Hun."

"Good night dad."

----

The next day, I arrived at school, my heart in my stomach. Something about my birth father showing up still bothered me. Like, this time he didn't leave on his own.

I drove him away.

"Sam!" Emma said, running up and hugging me. "Cameron told me everything! Are you okay? I was so worried."

I shook my head, hiding my face into the crook of her neck. "I don't know Em. I can't think straight. I feel like it's all my fault. My fault that my family is separated. My fault that my father showed up and left. It's all because of me." I said, a few tears falling from my eyes.

"No, honey it's not. Shh...." She said, petting my hair in a comforting manner. "Everything's gonna be okay."

I nodded. "Thanks Em." I then walked to my locker, getting side glances from everyone. "Why is everyone looking at me?" I whispered to Emma.

"The baseball team told everyone you and Cameron were dating." Emma whispered back.

I gulped, looking down, not really loving the glares from Cameron's ex's. So, basically every girl in the school.

When I got to my locker, I gasped. Written on it in red paint were the words: 'slut, whore, bitch,' and so on. "Oh my god." Emma said, her face turning white.

I opened my locker, to see all my stuff still intact. Except for all the notes coving them. I felt tears fall from my eyes as I read them. Everyone was mad. Why?

Emma's POV
The whole day, Samantha was really quiet. I started feeling worried for her, and a pang came to my heart of the thought of what might happen.

What if she got hurt? What if someone mugged her? What if jealous girls kidnapped her to get to Cameron. Of course all of these things I've seen in movies, but that's besides the point.

Samantha could be in serious danger.

Cameron knew this, and followed her around, walking her from class to class. He always kept a close eye on her too, even when she wasn't around. She was always with someone, either Shawn, Grace or Cameron.

I knew I couldn't really protect her. I wasn't as strong as Grace, Shawn and Cameron and I was always scared. Still, I felt like it was my responsibility to keep my friends safe.

But right now I was hopeless. My mind was so far off, that I didn't even realize that Hayes had been texting me this whole time.

"Oh shit...." I cursed, scrolling through my messages on my way home from school. About 40 messages from Hayes and 4 missed calls.

He was going to murder me.

A/N
Hey guys!! I updated!! Sorry I've not been updating, I've been enjoying my summer and updating this story was kind of at the back of my mind. Sorry!

- What do you think Hayes will do to Emma for not replying to his messages?

- What will the girls at school do to Samantha?

- How will they get the basketball provincials to happen?

Thank you guys so much for 34k reads and 1k favourites!! It really means a lot to me!!

Love you all!

Xoxo,

-Kat