Smart and Smarter

Jasmyn's POV

Me, Adam, and Bree are walking into school, when Adam says "Oh, check out what I've done to my locker!"

He starts opening his locker which is right next to mine might I add.

When he opens it, Bree and I see Christmas lights, loose paper, and a green toy hanging in his locker.

He smiles happily and pulls the green toy, "Tah-dah!" He sings to us when he says that.

Bree looks at him weirdly. I smile and give him a thumbs up because I think it's pretty cool.

He starts showing us around his locker. "Here's where I keep my books. Down here I keep random strands of hair I've collected to make fake mustaches..."

He holds the hair up to his face like a mustache.

I smile then think of something, "Please, tell me none of that hair is mine."

He glances at me and puts the hair back, "...and here is where I stock pile old lunches, or, as I like to call it, my tum-tum yum-yums."

Bree was getting really grossed out, so she walks away to talk to Leo, who just walked up.

"Hey, Leo. What's that?", Bree asks referring to the piece of paper in his hands.

"My progress report. I can't believe my science teacher says I'm always late to class!"

"You are always late to class", Adam points out.

"I know, but I don't need it publicized."

Adam turns back to his locker.

Chase runs in, "Look at this! An A minus. I knew my home ec teacher had it out for me. Always criticizing my muffins."

Bree and I laugh at him. Adam starts gloating, "Haha! I beat you! I got a D-plus! Plus because I'm better."

Bree starts to explain, "Adam, the plus is... You know what? It's just not even worth it anymore!"

I turn to Adam and whisper, "I'll explain it to you later."

He nods his head and puts the paper in his locker. Chase continues talking,

"D is not a good grade, but we don't really expect you to get good grades..."

"I do", I mumble so only Adam could hear me. He looks up at me and smiled a little.

"...I'm engineered to be the smartest man on the planet, and I just got an A minus. I've been relegated to the huddled unwashed masses of minuses, like you!"

"Chase, I know this must be hard for you, but, I mean, Look at the bright side..seeing you fall flat on your face is really fun for us." Bree tells Chase as they sit on the bench.

We all nod our heads in agreement.

Chase sighs, "I have got to find a way to regain superiority."

"Well, you could sign up for the student of the semester competition", Leo suggests to Chase.

He perks up a little, "What's that?"

"Every semester, kids compete to see who can best improve the school..."

Adam and I walk closer to them.

"...whoever wins the most votes, gets free pencils, a bumper sticker, and a cheesy picture of himself on the wall!" Leo points at the wall where Sydney Davidson, our current student of the semester is hanging.

Chase gets even more excited, "And that cheesy picture will show everyone that my brilliance reigns supreme!"

"And your nerdiness." I tell him patting him on the back. He ignores me and jumps up.