❄ 26 ❄ The Meeting With The Messenger Gods ❄

26The Meeting With The Messenger Gods

The Cullen House
Friday, April 14, 2017

Wren woke with a sudden start, staring out the glass wall at the moonlit night. The silvery moon hung over the clearing, giving everything a mythical aura-like feel to it. She threw back the covers and climbed out of the bed. She crossed the room in silent footsteps, stopping just inches from the window. She gazed up at the moon thoughtfully, feeling its soft rays against her face and the bare skin of her arms and legs.

Wren sighed softly as the familiar warmth she'd always get whenever she gazed up at the moon spread throughout her body and over her skin. She had always loved the moon. Ever since she was a little girl, when she had watched it rise to its peak in the star-scattered midnight blue sky, she had always thought, felt, that someone was watching over her. A flash of white near the forest edge caught her attention suddenly. Wren stared at the trees curiously.

A girl around twenty-three or twenty-four years of age stepped out of the shadows between two large trunks. She was wearing a pure white tunic that flowed down to her knees. Her face was a deep olive color, her hair as dark as the night sky, her small feet were bare and covered with dirt. A golden bow and a quiver of matching arrows were slung across her back. She was gazing up at the moon with a slight smile on her lips.

Wren leaned closer to the window, gazing down at the mysterious girl, her hand pressing against the cool glass. She stared down at her face, wondering why it looked so familiar; as if she had met her somewhere; when and where she had met her. The girl looked up at her suddenly, her silvery-white eyes full of a mixture of curiosity, love, and happiness. Wren stared down at her, still wondering who she was. The girl smiled up at her suddenly and waved before disappearing into the shadowy forest.

Wren ran from the room and down the staircase at vampire speed. The Cullens, Denalis, Clearwaters, Blacks, Rhys, and the pack were all sitting around the living room. They all glanced around at her as she raced past them to the front door. Wren threw open the door and sprinted through the garden, across the clearing. She jumped over the river and landed quietly on the other side.

She stood still as a statue, listening for any sounds. There were sounds of running footsteps behind her but she ignored them, concentrating hard on her surroundings. Wren peered into the shadowy darkness of the trees, inhaling deeply. All she could smell was the earthy scents of soil, moss, and pine trees. There was no distinctive scent, human or other, either.

It almost appeared like the girl she had seen isn't real but she knew for a fact that she was. She knelt down to peer at the soil between the trees she had seen the mysterious girl standing just seconds before. There were footprints in the mud, but they were barely visible and if a human looked at the ground right at this second, he or she would not be able to see them. Someone crouched down beside her, eyeing the ground also.

"Someone was here," Rhys said to Wren quietly.

She turned her head to look at him, he was staring at her, his face impassive. She looked away from him and rose to her feet. She turned around and gazed up at the house, her ice-blue gaze rising to the upper story, staring up at the bedroom window she had been in just seconds before.