16. In My Shoes

In My Shoes

"GIVE THEM TO ME!" Topaz's scream ricocheted off the rounded walls of the white chamber as she thrashed around on the chair, Abi's blonde hair tumbling out of her bun and sticking to her sweaty forehead. The Angels merely laughed and shared looks at the papers. "They aren't yours to have, give them back!" Topaz shrieked, tears of sheer fury burning in her eyes. "Oh look Alistair, it's the Change..." Angelica sneered, nodding her head at Topaz. "Oh wow, so it is my dear." Topaz stopped thrashing and halted in the chair, Abi's chest rising and falling. It took her a moment to realise that the hair that was now draping over her shoulders was shining a vibrant auburn, the shade her hair turned when she felt pure agonizing fury.

ABI! ABI WHAT'S HAPPENING?! IT'S TOO SOON!

Topaz's heart was hammering in her chest, she felt herself grow stronger, knew she was losing Abi.

TOPAZ, IT'S THEM; IT'S GOT TO BE THEM. IT'S TOO SOON!

Abi yelled inside her head.

DON'T LEAVE ME!

Topaz's plead was lost in her head as a pain as torturing as death itself tore through her body, arching her back and blasting every vessel inside her body. Heat blazed through her veins, burning her from the inside out. Red was everywhere. Topaz didn't know whether it was fire or blood, but all she knew was that she was in a torturing agony, and it was burning her alive. "PLEASE STOP! PLEASE, PLEASE, STOP!" She chortled. The last thing she heard was the horrific cackling of the Angels before the red in her vision turned to black.

"You're ready?" Robert asked, helping Aden into his leather jacket. "I shouldn't've wasted so much time, I should've just left." Aden shook his head, his throat still thick with tears. "You had to make sure Alice was going to be okay, no one blames you, Aden." Robert sighed and clapped the Angel's cheeks, standing in front of him and smiling tearfully. "Watch your back okay? You've seen the state Alice is in... Topaz will never forgive you if you come back as bad as her." Aden dropped his head. "That's even if Topaz is alive..." Robert strained to hear the Angel's words. "What?" He mumbled. "If they've killed her..." Aden shook his head and zipped the jacket tighter, the blades inside pressing sharply through his thin black t-shirt. He'd be the only Angel in black, the only darkness his parents would never see coming. "Don't expect me back at all." Robert clamped his hands onto Aden's shoulders. "You don't mean that, you can't stay there with them." Aden smirked, raising his eyes calmly to meet Robert's. "They won't be there, either," Aden said sharply. "If they've killed her, I'll kill them, and most likely myself in the process." Robert's hand whipped out harsh and back-slapped Aden's right cheek. The Angel bit down on his tongue, blood seeping on his lip. "You say that again and I'll kill you myself. You can't leave me here to pick up the pieces with your sisters and my brothers." Aden sighed and opened his mouth to apologise before they heard it. A chortled scream of sheer fear and agony pierced through the apartment from above their heads. The scream itself took on a word. And that word was Aden's name.

Topaz's scream awoke Abi as she plummeted through the air and landed in a rough heap on the bed Topaz had awoken in before they'd left for the Light World. "ADEN!" Abi hollered, rolling out of bed and landing with a large thud on the floor. Scrambling to her feet in tears, Abi stumbled to the door and threw it open, falling down the short stairs and into her brother's arms. "Abi!" He called as he caught her. "Aden, save her, quick, you have to save her!" Abi sobbed, flopping numb in his arms. She couldn't process her feelings or thoughts, she had just one purpose. And that was to make sure Aden got to Topaz, now. "They've stripped us apart, she's still there, they have the papers, they're going to kill her, you've got to go, save her, Aden, SAVE HER!" Abi's scream was loud enough to burst a blood vessel as Robert snatched her out of Aden's arms and lowered her onto the sofa. "GO!" The mermaid yelled. "ADEN GO NOW!" He yelled, shoving the Angel roughly. "I'll take care of Abi." He added, turning back to the Angel. Abi's eyes rolled back inside her head and she flopped back on the cushions. She didn't know if Aden had left or not. But she knew Robert would make sure he did. Topaz had to be saved. After all, she saved Alice. And without Topaz, they would all be dead.