14. You're In My Soul

You're In My Soul

"Abi!" Aden grabbed his sister's arm and yanked her back, putting himself between his sister and the mermaid. "What the Hell was that for?" Abi was sneering at Zac, watching the mermaid with narrowed eyes. "Him..." She muttered. "He's ruined everything." Aden shook his head and gripped his sister firmly with both shoulders. "No," He said firmly, looking his sister directly in the eye and waiting until she returned his stare before continuing, "If you believe that then you might as well turn right back around and go back to the Light World. Zac has done nothing but love our sister and want the best for her, it's been our parents who haven't been able to accept that and who have stood in the way. If you're not willing to support Alice's decision and Zac's love for our sister, then leave, now." Aden straightened and stood back against the wall in between Topaz and Zac. "And, while we're on the subject," Robert said from Topaz's other side. "I'd just like to point out the fact that by rights you should be reacting the same way with Topaz, you know, seeing as Aden's fallen for her like Alice fell for Zac." Abi rounded on her brother with widened eyes. "Wow thanks Robert." Topaz hissed at the mermaid. "Aden?" Aden looked at his sister, and then at Topaz who was looking angrily at Robert, communicating silently with her brother as her hair flamed redder by the second. "Look, I don't see what the problem is," Aden snapped angrily. "So what if Alice and Zac love each other? So what if Topaz and I are together? Who the Hell cares? Nothing's changed. I'm still an Angel, I'm still your brother, I'm still my parents' son, I'm still a Lightingale. Topaz is still a mermaid, still her parents' daughter, still a Nightingale. I don't understand what the fuss is about."

"Because you're not the same." The Angel sneered. "And?" Aden yelled. "What the Hell does it matter?" His voice was echoing all around them in the alleyway. He was pretty sure that if he had the same genes as Topaz, his hair would be auburn by now too. "The fact that we're not the same makes it better, makes it more interesting, makes it more normal. If we're both the same, it shouldn't be allowed, that's boring, that's plain."

"That's the way it's always been Aden, you know this!"

"Exactly!" Aden roared, throwing his hands in the air. "It's always been like that. That's what makes it so ridiculous. If Norants can accept different races marrying each other, and same-sex marriage then why the Hell can't we?!" Abi fell unearthly silent, watching her brother in awe. "You know," She laughed. "This morning I woke up, just like any other morning. I got up, grateful for the life I had. For the parents I still had alive and well. For the sisters I still had. Albeit you and Alice still hadn't been found, but this morning changed everything. I found Alice in the library, she told me you were here, told me all about Zac, and Topaz, and the rest of the Nightingales. She told me you were safe. And then she told me she'd fallen in love with a mermaid several years ago. That's when things began to change. A few hours later and I found our parents threatening and blackmailing Alice in the dorm, discovered my entire life was a lie, and the Light World is full of corruption. I never thought for a moment that the Dark World would be the same." Aden shook his head at his sister. "That just proves how truly naive you are then, Abi." Abi looked down at her hands clasped in front of her, her eyes beginning to fill with tears. "I wanted everything to be perfect," She mumbled. "I didn't want the stories to be real." Aden smiled and stepped towards his sister. "Believe me," He said, stretching a hand and placing it on Abi's shoulder. "If you'd have told me a month ago I'd be standing right now, the way I am, thinking the things I am, living the life I am," He shook his head and gave a short laugh. "I'd never of believed you." Abi looked up at her brother. "You look happy," She whispered, stroking his cheek gently. He nodded his head. "I am, Abs, I really am..." He smiled at his sister before adding, "If Alice were here, I'd be the happiest I'd ever been in a long time." Abi sighed. "Well," She said. "In that case, I suppose I'm willing to accept that the stories are real."