15. The Round Room

The Round Room

For Topaz it was as if she was floating, almost dreaming but in perfect clarity with utmost awareness and preciseness. She knew what she wanted and she knew how to get it for the first time in her life. Abi was a mere presence in her mind, like the voice in her head which read and thought things. Inevitable to be there but not noticeable until you actually thought about it. With Abi's knowledge she portalled inside the gates of the light world, pausing in obvious shock as she took in the sight around her. "Is this it?" She asked aloud to the bright green grass stretching for hundreds of miles before her. She stood beside towering golden gates, as tall and long as her eye could see. Beyond the gates was nothing but whiteness, like staring through clouds to see more clouds, and more, and more... But on this side of the gate the sky was bright blue, clear and glowing, and despite there being no sun, the grass sparkled as if warmed by it's glow, and glistened Abi's tanned hands.

What were you expecting?

Abi's voice asked in her head.

Golden gates and never-ending clouds? Cupid's Angels greeting you when you arrived?

Topaz smirked. "Yeah, something like that..." The mermaid reached into Abi's mind and as easy as walking, she took off into the air and began flying towards the horizon before her, where she could see the towering white of buildings.

It felt amazing to fly, and now Topaz really appreciated that. She could feel the air brushing through every feather of Abi's wings, feel the wind run through her hair and patter against her cheeks. It felt effortless and fulfilling, like when she transformed into her true Shape in the water. It felt true.

Once she reached the white towering buildings of the town, Abi helpfully took the lead and flew through the buildings, no concrete or pavement lining the ground underneath, just pure green grass, endless blue sky and sky-scraping white buildings. There were no cars, no fumes, and no grey. As she flew forwards through the towering buildings, Angels flew by smiling and bidding Abi good morning. "Do you really know all these Angels?" Topaz whispered to Abi.

No, we're just polite.

Abi's tone was clipped, and Topaz could tell the Angel was frightened to return home. She didn't want to delve into Abi's memories to find out what happened between her and her parents, or how she happened to come across Alice, but she could tell it was bad. Bad enough to scare her into returning. "It'll be okay, you know..." Topaz whispered as she flew out of the city centre and into the living centre of LVS. These houses were large white mansions, reminding Topaz of The White House in America where the Norant American President lived. They were all rich and posh looking. She wondered if there were any poor Angels.

What will be okay?

Abi asked in Topaz's mind. "Going home... They can't hurt you Abi... They can try. But I won't let them." Topaz could feel the gratitude in her mind, could sense the Angel felt a little better as they continued into a quieter part of the city, where at the top of a grassy slope stood a large white mansion with golden gates and the first non-grass ground of a golden pebbled drive. "Is that where you stay?" Topaz asked, hovering in the air at the bottom of the hill.

Yes...

Abi said.

This is home.

Aden's stomach churned with nerves. He bit his nails. He shook his leg. He paced. He twitched. He swore. He stared. He knew he was frightening the others with his silence, but he didn't care. He had a connection with Topaz, had a connection with Abi. He knew what Topaz would be seeing. She'd be seeing his World, his home, his family. He was ashamed of who he was for the first time in his life, and he didn't want anybody he loved to share that shame.