Chapter 29

It felt as though I was repeating everything over and over again. First I would have an awkward moment with Henry, then Chip or August would say something idiotic and then I would talk to Belle and then I would think 'I've never really talked to Henry, but that's because I like him. We don't talk much anymore, that's because I like him. I can't think around him, that's because I like him.' It was becoming so annoying. I kept thinking it but never doing anything about my predicament.

••••••••••••

There wasn't much snow out on the mountains and, the thing was Mr.Rose was horrible at timing, but he could plan the best vacations. We -my family and Belle's family - once went to Hawaii right when the one of the volcanoes erupted, so we couldn't enjoy the wonderful fresh air, because the air was laced with thick smoke. It was really disappointing, but we've all gotten used to it by now.

Even with the given circumstance, Mr.Rose was determined to go out and get some skiing done on this trip so everyone had gone out except for August so, I decided to stay back with him instead of wasting a few hours out in the cold. August had this knack for bringing cards with him so we played a few rounds of Poker and used a couple of Twix for betting, my parents would be really disappointed if they knew I was playing Poker. My parents were very simple people, my dad usually admonished any betting and my mom was stayed away from that whole mess. It was actually Mrs. Rose who taught us how to play so we would spend hours as kids playing Poker and using candy to bet on. Henry was good at catching onto things quickly so he was the Poker champion every summer, and I had beaten him once which made me feel really accomplished, but this was my first
time playing again since Mrs. Rose passed away.

We played a few rounds and surprisingly August was pretty good, he had beaten me three out of the six rounds we played so turns out we were both equally great players. After a while the others returned and interjected our intense round, we were both playing high cards but Chip came and ruined it. "Ooh Poker! I haven't won this in a while!" Henry exclaimed, his face lighting up - my heart beating faster and faster.

Unfortunately Henry sat next to me, -which wasn't that horrible except that I would probably take forever finding the correct card and make a fool of myself - so I had to ignore my thoughts and focus on the game. Of course for the first few rounds Henry kept winning, round after round. But then August started catching up to him. "Wow, you're actually really good at this. None of the other were ever as good as me". Henry said surprised at August's Poker skills, but he totally excluded the fact that I was the only one who was as good as him...maybe he had forgotten. 

"Well thanks to Emma I got some more practice. She's really good at cards too so it was pretty intense." August said, directing the attention to me.

"Yeah, I remember her beating me a couple of times when we were kids." Henry replied impassively. Acting oblivious to the fact that I was sitting right next to him at the table. Henry and August on either side of me. "Let's keep playing." He continued absent-minded. Sometimes I hated people so much but I couldn't hate his thoughts but like him so much...or
well was that even possible?

It was just kind of annoying that he didn't give much thought or time in making a reaction that would somewhat make me feel good, but instead he totally brushed it off. Maybe he was doing it so that Ivy wouldn't get the wrong idea, honestly I didn't know what to think anymore. My life was a series of random events that had seized to make any sense. Just like that saying "Life is like a rollercoaster", it was. There wasn't a plot to life, it was: dealing with what gets thrown at you and going with the flow.

My flow was to be ignored by someone that used to be - or maybe was still - my best friend. So all I could do was let it go. We kept playing it and the outcome was a constant battle between August and Henry. Round after round it was only one of them who won. And I decided it was time to give up, I had first thought of attempting to beat them but as each round progressed, it got harder and harder to catch up. "You guys can keep playing." I said, getting up. I was ready to leave and go read another few more pages of Belle's huge ass book. When suddenly as I turned away and started to walk out into the hall, Henry grabbed my hand and said "Wait, Em. You were getting so close to beating August maybe if you play one more round you might be able to beat him". Immediately my breathing stopped and I froze. My heart was beating faster and faster but I was speechless. I couldn't move a single inch and his hand in mine, until he finally dropped his hand and I could finally think again.

"O-Okay, I guess...I'll keep playing then". I managed to get out, mentally dying with each word. I quickly turned around and sat back down trying to avoid anymore attention. We continued playing and I got closer and closer with every round.

An Ace.

Another Ace.

A King.

A Queen.
I was so close. I slowly went to pick up a card from the deck.

A five.
"No!" I shouted, a little bit to loudly.

"Your Poker face is good but your Poker vocals aren't good enough". August joked, nudging me with his elbow. I gave him a small smile letting him know he hadn't offended me, unlike somebody.

This round it was getting really close between me, Henry and August. August had started out with really strong cards, or at least that's what I thought based on the way he was playing. It was me and August, me and August over and over again until Henry came and over powered both of us. I was really close to beating them and then finally I knew I had gotten it. "Full House" I said with full confidence, showing everyone my cards.

"I knew you could do it this time!"Henry exclaimed his face full of excitement. Then, right then and there he straight up hugged me, not giving any thought to Ivy or anyone around us. At that exact moment, I mentally exploded.