Chapter 21

Anything that Ivy did or said always felt like salt in a wound but this was a breaking point.

I usually just brushed her remarks off but this was something I just couldn't.

I immediately sat right back into the car, I didn't care about the fact that I had to go to the bathroom.

The fact that Henry had a girlfriend didn't bother me - actually it did brother me a lot - it was the fact that Ivy Hepburn was his girlfriend.

* *

After we left everyone - so cleverly- decide to talk.

Obviously after I was mad and upset everyone was going to decide to have a conversation.

Life was just great.

Just hearing everyone laughing and having fun made me feel even more guilty and sad. Sitting in the front wasn't looking that substantial anymore.

I decided to try not to think about Henry, but that wasn't working at all.

I slipped in my earbuds and tried not to let Ivy's words get to me.

* * *

I remembered how life was so much better when we were kids.

We would always walk around the neighborhood alone. It was funny how we all thought that we "grown up" since we were allowed to play outside without parents.

One day during the last few days of summer as the weather was just starting to become chilly and windy, me and Belle were riding our bikes and Henry and Chip were showing off their skateboarding skills.

During third and fourth grade, Belle would always tie her short blonde hair in two pigtails.

Me and Henry were the two "adventurous" kids in our group. We would always run everywhere by ourselves.

That was how we found the treehouse.

One day after-school were both walking home - Belle and Chip had a dentist appointment so they weren't with us - and we decided that we didn't want to go home directly so we went to Henry's house and grabbed his bikes - I took his sisters bike - and we both were racing each other around the neighborhood.

His wheel got stuck on a rock and his bike fell over and his knee got cut - there was blood involved - so we found a bench a decided to take a break while his knee was "better". Then we started to poke each other - I don't remember why but I guess kids annoy each other for fun - and then the bench ended up fall backwards.

We both rolled down a slope and sort of just found the treehouse.

Sometimes I wished that I didn't like Henry, so I could talk to him without freaking out.

I loved it when we were just best friends and when he would talk to me and tell me things, but now Adam had replaced me.

I was still there since we were still "friends" but I couldn't be part of his conversations with everyone.

* *

We were finally at the ski resort around 6:38- ish.

I felt like there was a huge whole in my heart, I didn't want to think about "them" but I just couldn't stop thinking and thinking about it made it even worse.

I tried to focus on the Ski Resort and being happy but I couldn't do that cause there were couples literally every-freakin-where I looked, it made me even more upset.

Mr. Rose had told us all to wait in the car so he could go check in and get the cabin key, but I just couldn't sit through that again. I went with Mr. Rose into the Lobby and waited with him.

I went and sat in one of the lobby chairs, and did the one thing that let me escape from life -reading.

After about ten minutes we had to leave and back outside.
"Hey Emma, come on. I have our cabin keys" Mr. Rose said jangling the keys in his hand.

I slowly got up and walked outside. I knew the second I saw Henry's face I was going to collapse and finally start to cry.

All I wanted to do was go inside and lock myself into my room, the second I got to the cabin.

I knew I shouldn't of let them being "girlfriend" and "boyfriend" get to me but, it was.

I basically had nothing left in life except my friends, and now Ivy was taking the one thing I had hope in away.

"Okay, kids get out of the car, we're here." Mr. Rose announced.

I opened the car door and slumped of the car. Then I sadly shuffled to the trunk of the car with my shoulders drooped.

You could literally tell that I was sad and I had no shame in showing everyone my sadness.

I threw open the trunk, grabbed my suitcase out from the bottom of the trunk under the stacked up suitcases and slammed the trunk shut as hard as I could.

The harder I tried to stop being sad, the more I want someone to ask me if I was okay.

I wanted Henry to notice my misery and how much "they" had hurt me.

It was really stupid getting this sad about boy that wasn't gonna like me in that way, in the first place.

But I felt like I couldn't breathe, it hurt so much that I didn't know how to express it.

Mr. Rose was already at the cabin door trying to open it up, who knew Mr. Rose was the one person who would understand me right now.

I walked toward the cabin, not looking back at them. I walked straight into the cabin and went right into the first bedroom I saw. I slammed the door shut, ripped off my coat, and hat and threw them on the ground.

The bedroom had two bunk beds in it so I kicked off my boots and climbed up to the top of the nearest one and cried.

Literally cried. I had no shame. Just let the tears come out, and let my feelings pour out all over the pillow.