Chapter 7

The first few hours of the day went by in a blur but during the last two hours of the day were just too ineffable.

During 5th period it was pretty normal for the first half hour of class, Mr. Nolan told us to do whatever we wanted if we stayed in our seats but nobody really stayed in their seats and Mr. Nolan didn't seem to mind. We were supposed to be taking a 10 question quiz about the Theory of Evolution but since Mr. Nolan was actually an awesome teacher he usually let us take our quizzes together as a class.

He was around his 30's and he looked pretty average, but he always had these cool ties he wore every day with really random patterns and he gave us candy for doing literally anything. He was the best teacher in the whole grade and there were about twelve teachers in the 10th grade even the kids that weren't in his classes would be saying that he was amazing.

Zoe Wornaki was my only 'friend' that sat near me in class and I didn't want to risk getting out of my seat so I had no other option.

So we were just talking about school-related topics when Mr. Nolan's voice echoed through the classroom. Everyone became silent and the kids that were out of their seats dashed back to their seats.

"We have a new student today class!" Mr. Nolan announced very enthusiastically. "Her name is Ivy Lee."

Beside stood a girl with undeviating shoulder length, jet black hair which was curved in toward the tips. She had these prepossessing ivy green eyes with a tint of gold specks.

Then it hit me, that was the same girl I had seen in my extremely vivid memory. Jealousy spread all over my body, hoping that she wouldn't be able to remember who Henry was.

There was an empty seat next to Henry who sat in the back of the room near the window. I was anticipating that she wouldn't get a seat anywhere near him but since the universe was never on my side.

"Oh look there's an empty seat all the way back there next to Henry. He is very nice and I'll make sure he helps you out with anything you need" Mr. Nolan said with a perky smile pointing towards the empty seat next to Henry.

Anger was racing through my blood and it felt like I could break the desk with just one punch, but obviously I wasn't capable of that since I wasn't even strong enough to open the large double doors of my school.

I smiled at Ivy as she walked by my desk trying to conceal my anger. She was acting so clueless but her act wasn't fooling me. I knew that somewhere in that twisted mind of her's, she was over-ecstatic about the fact that she got to sit next to him. "Get a grip Emma" I screamed at myself.

I was probably over-reacting though. I couldn't remember who she actually was - I just had a brief memory of her - I didn't have much to work with so I shouldn't of assumed that she was going to take Henry from me.

But I couldn't help the feeling of jealousy spread through me like a forest fire.

"Ok class, so we aren't taking that quiz like Ms. Thomson or Mrs. Link's classes are we!" Mr. Nolan said, he seemed really glad that we weren't going to take it - more ectatic than most of the students. "We are going to take that quiz on Friday since we have a new student, so instead I'm going to be passing out worksheet. You can use your phones to look up some questions if you need to and make sure you work with your table partner or you won't receive full credit."

Great. Just great. Ivy was going to be able to work with Henry and I was stuck here next to Riley Fickle.

Riley wasn't that bad to work with but she usually thought she was better than everyone else, she was pretty arrogant and had to much vanity. She usually just worked by herself, even for a group project she did all the work because she thought somebody would mess it up and write something dumb - which was good for the slackers that worked with her- but lucky for me, I was one of the people that she would actually associate with. I didn't like it when one person did all the work and luckily usually she wanted to take some of my suggestions.

But she sucked at making decisions and it took her about ten minutes to decide which one of her fifteen pencils she wanted to use for the first fifteen minutes of class then she would spend five more minutes picking out another pencil and she did this everyday, four times during each class.

I looked over across the room and saw Ivy and Henry in what seemed an engaging conversation. I had never had a full conversation with Henry in the past year and a half; I just couldn't help but feel guilty for not trying to patch up our friendship much earlier. I couldn't stand watching it any long.

I was pretty good at controlling my feelings. If I was SO mad that I wanted to murder someone, I would be mentally breaking down but nobody would or could be able tell that inside there was a huge apocalyptic storm brewing in "Emma's World" in my mind - like right now.

Nobody in the whole entire grade knew that I had been crushing on Henry for three years straight except for Belle. I would internally melt every time I saw Henry, but still nobody would realize. Chip may have overheard our conversations but I doubted that he knew anything in that small mind of his.

For the rest of class, I tried to focus on the worksheet but I couldn't stop wondering what Henry and Ivy were doing or talking about.

I thought of walking up to Ivy and ripping her to shreds - which made me really happy, I couldn't stop smiling at the glorious image I saw in my mind of Ivy, crumbling down to tiny little nothing.

"Why are you smiling so much?" Riley asked

"Um. Me? I was smiling?" I asked sheepishly trying to stifle my laughter. "Sorry, I'll try to focus".

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
For the rest of Biology, I tried to block off any noise except for Riley but since I had amazingly sharp hearing so I heard every single word of everybody's conversations but all the noises were jumbled up and barely audible.

During the last ten minutes of class, Mr. Nolan made us watch this super boring video with a narrator that sounded so depressed - like she wanted to kill herself instead of narrating the video. I blanked out the whole time because the narrator's voice made me go into some trance and couldn't stop thinking about the events that had happened in this very room half an hour ago.

Brrrrrrrring!

The bell rang and that was my ticket to freedom, I grabbed my binder off of the sleek black table and zoomed out the door like there was no tomorrow.

I slipped through the herd of kids in the hall, ducking under the people who towered over me - sometimes being short had its advantages.

I was the first in Mrs. Mcallister class; even Mrs. Mcallister wasn't there at the moment. I walked over to my desk at the back of the classroom, but I ended up tripping on literally nothing but I grabbed the desk just in time before I collided with the tiled floor, hoping nobody saw me.

"Smooth" August said snickering at my amazing hand-eye coordination.

"Thanks," I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

By now there were way more kids in the room than there had been just a few seconds ago. Henry was nowhere to be seen and Chip and Belle weren't here either.

Mrs. Mcallister finally walked into the classroom and she shut the door behind her. She called August over to her desk, whispered something to him and pointed at an empty desk a few rows up from the last row of desks where I was sitting.

"Okay class, we have two new students today!" She had her hand on August's shoulder. I looked over to see who the other new student was and just my luck... it was Ivy-freaking-Lee.