Chapter Forty-One

Draco never imagined that he would be witnessing Voldemort's demise, much less his actual death, so when Voldemort's body fell to the ground before him. Draco couldn't help but take a step back, he'd pictured this moment, but it was nothing like what he was currently witnessing. Voldemort was just a person, a human being in the end, but in the back of Draco's mind he had expected something more...something more than watching his body simply topple over. 

"Draco....." Angelina's voice brought him from his thoughts, her hand in his was warm and comforting as she gazed at him, her eyes looking on with concern. 

Draco brought the small brunette into his arms, pressing his cheek atop her head as they stood in silence for a minute. He thought he'd lost her tonight, the last possible thing Draco wanted. "Don't leave my side, got it?" Draco muttered. 

Angelina's face broke out into a wide smile, pressing her  cheek further into Draco's chest, "where you go, I go." 

"Draco," Narcissa Malfoy's voice was heard over the buzzing and hands gripped his shoulders, prying him off Angelina. "I'm so relieved you're safe." 

"Come now, we should be leaving," Lucius said from behind Narcissa. 

 "To where?" Draco questioned. 

Lucius shook his head, "I won't tell you here. Let's move, you'll have to leave Miss Parksinson behind, unfortunately." 

"I'm not leaving her alone, who knows what they'll do to her here," Draco protested. Over his father's shoulder he saw wizards moving fast toward them. 

"There's no time for this," Lucius hissed. 

"Then leave, I'm not moving without Angelina." 

Narcissa gave a small smile, leaning forward and kissing Draco's cheek, "we understand, dear." 

Lucius made a noise just as Kingsely Shacklebolt appeared, giving a cough to inform of his presence, "Mr.and Mrs. Malfoy.....We would like to speak with you, if possible. In private of course," he said calmly. 

Draco's parents looked between each other, but gave a small nod of agreement, "we'll be back," Narcissa gave a smile before following Kingsley out of the room. 

"Want to see if we can follow them?" Angelina offered. 

"I have a feeling I know what will happen and I don't want to be present for that," Draco shrugged his shoulders slightly. 

Angelina raised an eyebrow as Draco put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her into his side, "we should find Pansy." 

Angelina shook her head, "not interested." 

It was Draco's turn to raise an eyebrow, "then what do you suggest?" 

Angelina shrugged, "whatever you think is best." 

****

The grounds looked lush and normal, as if the Battle of Hogwarts that occurred exactly a year ago never happened. It was weird being back, the reconstruction had taken a few months, and the wizarding world was slowly getting back on its feet. Angelina walked to the stone plaque, looking at the long list of names of people lost, with a sad smile she placed her white roses down before the memorial and gazed at the marble. 

"I thought you would be here," Angelina turned on her heel as the voice of her sister called out over her shoulder. Pansy's hair was down to her shoulder blades, but she looked exactly the same. 

"Hello," Angelina said, her voice strained. 

"Ange-"

"No, I don't want to hear it," Angelina shook her head, "you're my older sister and older sisters are supposed to protect their younger sisters. But you didn't! You let me get roped into something so incredibly dangerous, you....you treated me so horribly!" Angelina felt sweat form on her neck as she shook, the few onlookers present to honor those who died a year ago looking at the two sisters. "You were a horrible big sister and I....I want nothing to do with you." 

"Angelina!" Pansy shouted in outrage. 

"Oi, is everything alright?" Draco placed his hands gingerly on Angelina's shoulders when he appeared, "Pansy....nice to see you." 

Pansy only glared, "please leave, Pansy," Angelina whispered. 

Pansy looked at Angelina with big eyes, opening and closing her mouth before taking a step back. "Is this really the end then? Just like this?" 

"Did you really expect anything else when I didn't respond to your letters?" 

Pansy glared, "you're being-" 

"Dramatic?" Angelina scoffed, Draco's hands pressed into her shoulders, "I don't know what else you expected." 

Pansy looked at her sister, speechless before walking away. "Was that really the best way to handle that?" Draco whispered in her ear. 

"I don't know....but....for now...it was the right choice," Angelina responded as her stomach twisted into a painful knot. "Come on, the service is starting soon." 

Without a word, Draco took Angelina's hand and the two joined the small group of wizards gathered to honor the lives lost a year ago. 

"Ange, I really think that you should make things up with Pansy," Draco whispered as McGonagal took the small podium before the rows of seats. 

"I don't see any need to do that," Angelina muttered. 

Draco breathed deeply, "look, I know that she became this awful person and was a horrible sister to you the last three years, but....she's your sister, I remember how close you two were before everything. I know you can't live without her." 

"I've done fine on my own so far," Angelina shrugged. 

"Go make up with her, Ange." Draco said more forcefully this time. 

"What would be the point?" 

"Because at least one of us should have their family," Draco's voice turned cold. 

Angelina took Draco's hand, giving it a small squeeze, "I....I'm sorry...." When Kingsley Shacklebolt came to talk to the Malfoys it was to arrest Lucius for his crimes, his mother was cleared of anything possible but without Lucius around her health slowly began to diminish. Angelina was holding on hope, but Draco wasn't as positive, even with the best staff of St. Mungo's working to keep Narcissa in stable condition, Draco believed that his mother would soon pass. 

"So fix it, alright?" Draco muttered darkly. "For me."

Angelina gave a small nod, then turned her attention to McGonagall up front.