Chapter Twenty Six

The floor was jagged and coarse, agitating the skin with the smallest hints of friction. Angelina opened her eyes, lifting her gaze to the door at the top of the steps a few feet away from her slumped figure, a dirty lantern and the small window on the door were the only sources of light in the entire room.

Angelina sighed, moving her wrists that itched underneath the cording that bound her to the ground, she began twisting her hands, stretching her fingers until she felt the knot. Very slowly and carefully Angelina managed to undo the knot with all her might, she wished her fingers to move fast due to the panic that was making her heart jump to her throat and hitch her breathing. After what felt like hours, Angelina managed to move her wrists out of her bindings, very carefully Angelina rolled from her side to her back, letting the freezing stone take away her warmth.

What happened?

The last thing she remembered was her mother holding her tightly and crying, how long ago was that? Angelina scowled at what was slowly concluding to be a holding cell in the basement of....somewhere. As she began to adjust to her surroundings, Angelina rubbed her eyes, the bandages on her left arm catching her eye.

What the hell?

Angelina glared at the wrappings and began to unravel them from her arm, but they didn't move. It felt as if they were permanently attached to her arm and nothing could remove them. Her heartbeat began to hammer through her chest, feeling as if it could break her ribs while her mind raced as it stared at the bandages in the very dim lighting. Before she could think, her mouth opened and her lungs expanded with oxygen before exhaling in the form of a scream that couldn't possibly go ignored.

Footsteps pounded on the other side of the door before quickly stomping down the steps beside Angelina who was now paralyzed with fear and anxiety.

"Shhhh.....shhhh.....We don't want them knowing you're up yet," Angelina registered the voice, the very familiar and soothing voice who enveloped her in his arms so effortlessly. "You're safe, you're fine, I'm here."

Angelina shoved Draco Malfoy away from him as forcefully as possible, "what the hell is going on here, Malfoy?" She snapped.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Draco said calmly.

"My mother, holding me and crying, after you-" Angelina's palm collided with Draco's face enough to leave a red mark, "told me to bugger off because I'm daft."

Draco raised an eyebrow, scowling with a heavy sigh, "of course."

"Tell me what is going on. Now," Angelina snapped. "Why can't I get this off?!" Angelina seethed at the bandage on her arm.

"What...." Draco looked at the bandage, frowning as he examined the wrap on her left arm. "No.....no, its not....they wouldn't...." he began to mutter to himself.

"What're you muttering about?" Angelina spoke as coldly as possible, she wasn't going to let Draco off for hurting her, even if she was scared out of her mind.

Slowly Draco rolled his sleeve up on his left arm, the snake jumping out against the pale skin and looking deadly as Draco placed his arm along hers, trying to piece something together.

"This can't be happening," Draco whispered.

The blood in her veins froze, she felt her heart stop and her lungs retract as if refusing air at all. She tried to speak, make a noise, scream, but she was silent as her eyes moved between Draco's left arm and her own.

The bandages were the same length as the mark on Draco's arm. Exactly. The same.

*****

"Because of your midnight rendezvous, you will return to school and act as spies among the students. Any information you overhear from the halfbreeds you will immediately report to the Carrows."