Chapter 10

Chapter 10

               I awoke with the sound of pots clinking in the kitchen and the smell of food wafting through the house. I get up and walk to the kitchen where I expected to see my mom cooking but Sage was in there scrambling eggs in a pan.

               Without turning around she spoke, “Hey sis. Are you hungry?”

               “Sure.” I simply said while sitting on a stool in front of the bar.

               I sit there and wonder if last night was a dream about Dominic like the one I had only a few days ago. It felt so real though.

               “No, you weren’t having a dream. It was real.” Sage says, looking up at me.

               “Huh? Oh right, mind reader.”

               “Right, plus I can smell him on you.” Tobias says, walking into the kitchen.

               “How was he able to get in? I thought vampires had to be invited in houses owned by humans.”

               “Ah, but your father owns this house and your mother and sisters aren’t quite humans themselves. Besides, that’s just in movies.” Tobias says, walking over to Sage and kissing her on the cheek.

               “So nothing in movies are true?” I ask Tobias.

               “Well we can be killed by a stake to the heart but that’s about the only thing in movies that are true. Oh and werewolf bites are deadly to us as well.”

               Sage walks over and places a plate of eggs and toast in front of me. I put some of the eggs on the toast and take a bite.

               “So, what else is there to know about vampires?”

               “Well, we can read the thoughts of the person we’re bonded to and other vampires that are in our bloodline. Werewolves can’t get in a vampire’s house unless they are invited in and we can’t go into a werewolf’s house without being invited in. We can see our reflection in a mirror and we don’t burn in the sun. Holy water doesn’t affect us and crucifixes are merely decoration. We can procreate but only with our soul mate. Our soul mate however, if they are a witch or a human, can get pregnant by any man.” Tobias explains.

               “Wow that was a lot to take in.” I state.

               Tobias’ brow furrows as if he’s thinking.

               “So what happened last night when Dominic showed up? Did he try to hurt you? Why didn’t you try to scream for your parents?”

               I ignore the bombardment of questions he was throwing at me. It was just too much and I haven’t really thought that much about what happened, which surprised me. Perhaps I should be terrified about his anger, but I wasn’t. Deep inside of me, I knew he wouldn’t hurt me – unless I wanted it. I smile wickedly at my thoughts and I hear Sage sigh in disgust.

               “Could you not think so loudly?” She asks with clear irritation in her voice.

               “Could you not eaves drop in on my brain?” I mock her irritation.

               “You’re right though.” She says.

               “Hmm?” I hum with my mouth full.