Chapter 9

Chapter 9

               On the plane ride home I did nothing but cry. It felt like a part of my soul had been ripped out. I’d been the one who killed Dominic and I don’t even know how I did it. Sage explained that in cases like mine, when I haven’t did the ceremony with my sisters, mom and the Crone that I wouldn’t have any real control over my powers.

               Being so irresponsible and childish had been the real cause of Dominic’s demise. This made me cry harder, bawl even. How could I be so stupid? Why did I even let him bite me?

               ‘He’s your soul mate’, my conscience told me. Was that the only reason why I was so foolish and willing to do whatever my traitorous body told me?

               I heard the flight attendant over the loud speaker.

               “Please fasten your seat belts. We’ll be arriving at your destination shortly.”

               I never took off my seat belt so I just sat there waiting to land in wonderful Arkansas.

               After we got off the plane, we got our luggage and got in Tobias’ car, driving home. The drive seemed so long. Maybe because I’m still pining over Dominic? How could I not though? I more than willingly gave him my virginity and let him bite me. We were ‘blood bonded’.

               I did see what Tobias meant when he said Dominic was a mentally grotesque monster. Why did he torture people? My stomach churns at the question and I decide not to dwell on it any longer.

               As we pull up to my parent’s house, I roll my eyes at the sight of my mother standing on the front porch. I still haven’t fully forgiven her for calling me an abomination. Maybe I’m being too hard on her but how could I not? To hear your mom call you that is heartbreaking.

               Tobias parks the car in front of the house. I see my dad step out of the house and I hastily get out and run to him, hugging him tight.

               “It’s ok, mija. It’s ok.” He says while rubbing my head, making a shushing sound.

               I fall apart in my dad’s arms. I start sobbing uncontrollably and this causes him to hug me even tighter. He breaks the hug, smiling at me while wiping my tears away.

               “Papi, lo siento.” I say in a choked voice.

               “No, it’s ok, sweetie.” He says, rubbing my cheek.

               I look over at my mom and tears are welling up in her eyes.

               “Sweetie, I’m so sorry. Sage told me what happened.” She sobs out.

               “Mom, I don’t know what happened.” I say while hugging her.

               “Go up to your room and get unpacked. Once you get settled we’ll get something to eat. You must be starving.”

               I smile at her and walk into the house, going up stares to my room. Once I get in my room I plop on my bed and curl around one of my large pillows.

               This all seems like a dream, like it’s not even happening. Tobias comes in my room in my room, setting the black duffle bag down with my stuff in it.

               “You ok?” He asks. Why is he pretending to care?

               “Yeah, I’m fine.” I say, turning around on my bed so I’m not facing him.