Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“I promise it isn’t hooker short!” Sage says while looking at me tugging the hem of the black dress she picked out for me.

“It looks like I’m asking for it!”

“You are asking for it! Besides, that’s kind of the point. You have to look sexy on your big night.”

“I understand I have to look sexy but this is slutty.”

“Eh, tomato tomahto. You look great, get over it!”

About that time my sister’s phone rings. She rolls her eyes and I already know it’s my dad calling.

“Hey papi.” She says as she answers. She listens for a little bit.

“Yeah, yeah, we’ll be there in a little while. Jade still has to do her make up.”

I hear my dad yell over the phone, “NOW SAGE!”

She hangs up on him.

“We gotta go.” She says, standing up.

“I’m doing my make up before we go.”

“Ok, fine but hurry up. I’ll grab your gear while you finish getting ready.”

I turn to the mirror to do my make up but my phone rings. It’s my guitarist, Clay.

“Hey, I just have to finish my make..” Clay interrupts me.

“Where the hell are you? Your dad is about to kill the sound guy!”

“I’m home. I just have to finish my make up.”

“Ok, but hurry. Your dad is yelling in some foreign language. It’s scaring the hell out of me.” I can hear my dad in the back ground yelling in Spanish.

“We’ll be there in 30 minutes. Is there something wrong with the sound?”

“The new sound guy seems to not know what he’s doing.”

“Ok, tell my dad I’ll be there in 30 minutes and I’ll look at the soundboard.”

“Ok, hurry.” He hangs up.

I turn back to the mirror and line the top of my eye lids with black liner and put red lipstick on. I look at myself in the mirror very satisfied with how I look, except for the short hooker dress. My hair is in curls cascading over my shoulders and my bangs are pinned back. I achieved the 50’s looks I was going for and I nod with a smile at my reflection.  Sage storms into my room.

“COME ON! Get your ass moving. We gotta go!”

“Okay, damn. Impatient much?”

She yells something in Spanish that I didn’t quite catch as she grabs my keys while heading outside. It seems my family yells in Spanish when they are being rushed. I grab my phone and heels. I look at my heels and wonder how the hell I was going to perform on stage in them.

I run out the front door and Sage already has the car started and sitting in the passenger seat. I climb in the driver’s seat and speed off on our way to Bruja’s.

I look down and tug at the hem of my dress again. I think to myself ‘This dress is too fucking short.’

“What did you say?” Sage says looking at me; her eyes bright green with anger.

“I didn’t say anything.”

“Yes you did. You said the dress is too fucking short.”

“Well I can feel the leather of the seat on my ass right now. Doesn’t that mean it’s too short?” I say; mirroring her anger.