Chapter 13: Secrets Revealed

Several days had past since that day and dad still hasn't shown up yet. I don't even know if I can keep this up anymore, but I have to, for both mom and his sake.

It was already the beginning of summer when I finally got to meet up with him again after all those months.

"So...are you going to do it?" I asked him once we sat down on a park bench. I saw him shook his head from the corner of my eye while I was looking down on my lap. "I'm not ready." He stated. I turn to him shocked. "You're never going to be ready if you keep waiting. Dad, mom is waiting and I can't keep on keeping secrets from her, you know how much that'll hurt her?"

"I'm sorry." He apologizes but I wasn't going to take it. "If you're really sorry then do something about it instead of just sitting around." Then I took a deep breath to calm down. "Mom's sick." I finally decided to tell him that part. "Really sick and I'm scared that she might not make it. You can't keep on running away. By the time you're ready, mom might be gone."

Dad raises his head. "She's in the hospital." I told him as I stood up. "Come on, before time runs out."

We started heading towards the hospital. "How long has this sickness been going on?" Dad asks. "Months, almost a year now. She's lucky she made it this far." I replied. "Lucky?" Dad repeated. He was still confused since I didn't told him about the cancer part.

"You'll see when we get there." And that was all I said until we got to Mom's hospital room. "Stay here, come when I tell you to." I tell him then headed inside as I closed the door behind me.

Mom was in the bed, her face turned pale during those months and lost all of her hair. Just seeing her like that brings me to tears. "Wow, you look so different mom." I told her. Mom sighed. "Is there something wrong? You usually hang out with your friends during the weekends."

I took a deep breath and walked to her bedside. "Mom...I've, been keeping secrets from you." I told her. Mom looked at me confused. For now, I only plan on telling her the secret about dad.

"Um, for the past few months, I had a mission assigned with the team to find out about...Dad..." Mom turned her gaze away a bit madly as she bites her lip. "And, we met. I'm sorry I never told you this mom, I'm really sorry but I did this for you. I did it so that you can understand the truth. So I brought him here today."

Mom quickly turned to me shock. "Dad? You can come in now." I called out. The door opened and Mom was so focused. Slowly, the person came in and Mom gasped with her hands covering her mouth when she saw dad's face. I saw that tears were falling down her cheeks.

I nodded and left the room so that they could have their alone time. While they talked, I just waited outside, sitting on the chair near the room.

After some few more minutes, they called me back in and I saw that mom had relief in her eyes even though she was still crying. "Star...Thank you." She says smiling through her eyes. My eyes widened. "You're not mad that I went behind your back?" I asked.

Mom shook her head. "See what you had done Star, I've finally known the truth about your father." She turns to dad as she said that. "I too have kept a secret from you." Her smile faded as she looked down her lap. I leaned in closer, wondering what she meant.

"All those past months I've told you that I'm fine and that I'll survive this but...the truth is...I'm not even sure. I never wanted to worry you but I don't want to be keeping secrets from you. Doctor Willow says that there's only 20% of a chance that I may survive, which means the other 80% means that I won't." Her voice went shaky and tears dropped.

Hearing that made my heart sank and I felt my tears streaming down my face as well. "Mom..." I placed my hand on top of hers. "Thank you for telling me that." I tried smiling but could barely do so. Then I bring her into my arms, hugging her because I was scared and worried for her.

Through those tears, we cried, dad was just quietly crying beside us. "I...there's another thing that I haven't told you." I stated pulling away. Dad wiped the tears from mom's face and I wiped mine. "I fell in love..." I told them quietly with a bit of pain in my eyes.

Mom smiled but paused when she saw the sadness in my eyes. "I fell in love with a Blood." Tears started falling more. Mom's eyes widen in shock. "Mom I made friends with these Bloods. They're not bad as Dark says so, they're just like us, they care for each other, they care for me, and they have feelings just like us. So we kept our friendship, me, Jayden, Umi, Darold and the rest of Blood, we kept it because we know that Dark and Blood's codes are against it.

"And I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I had to go falling in love with a Blood instead of someone else in the team like Jayden but Jayden's just a friend, he's my best friend and that's all between us. And I have this mission where I have to eliminate him." I kept crying  more and more after each sentence.

"I have to eliminate him and I don't want to do that. Mom, Dad, if I eliminate him, then there's a part of me that'll be gone. Agent Jean said that I had to first get closer to him. We've spent so much times together and she thinks that I'm only doing my job but honestly, I'm doing it because I want to.

"Travis has friends who cares about him, and us Darks care about Travis as well. But because of that code, we can't be together. Mom, I'm sorry." I fell to the floor on my knees as I cried and cried.

"Star..." I heard mom called out, she was already on the floor kneeling in front of me when I looked up at her. I leaned into her arms with a tight embrace as we cried. "It's okay...everything's going to be okay. Because the Star I know never gives up no matter what even if things seems impossible." She says stroking my back softly.

Her voice was soft and understanding. "You're going to be alright." She assures me and I felt dad's hand on my shoulder. Both of my parents were supporting me so I can't give up now.

I won't give up now...I told myself with determination.