Just Go to Sleep(Part 2)

Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Arrow, and Black Canary were in a meeting, discussing the Young Justice team and its progress." As a whole, the team is doing remarkably well. Aqualad seems to be a skilled leader." Black Canary said, earning collective murmurs of agreement." I am impressed by the way they all work together, especially Robin. For one who has never really fought in a group, he has adjusted nicely." Superman stated with the air of an impressed uncle." His fighting styles are impeccable for one so young." Said Green Arrow, which earned him some disapproving looks and a bat-glare." Robin may be young, but he is by far the most experienced. A few years fighting in Gotham will do that to you. His age is not a determining factor in his overall skill level, Oliver." Batman said, keeping a steely calm voice through it all. The group sat in tension for a moment when a noise broke them from their silence. An insistent beeping rang out through the room and it was coming from Batman. He rose with a firm deliberation." What is it?" Flash asked. Batman turned his gaze to the League members in front of him. They noticed that his skin was slightly more pale than normal." It's Robins emergency bat signal. He knows to only use it in life or death. I have to go." The man answered. "Wait! We haven't gotten a call from anyone else on the team. I'm sure they are.... Fine?" Green Arrow tried to say, only the find that the Dark Knight was already gone. The remaining superheroes glanced around at each other in confusion until Black Canary's com went off." This is Aqualad to the Justice League. Is anyone there?" Black Canary answered calmly." We're here Aqualad. What is it?" Aqualads face, which was usually impassive and void of too much emotion, was riddled with panic." We have a man down. Robin has been shot. We're doing all we can, but it's not good." Now the team understood why Robin had used his emergency signal." Batman was alerted to something earlier than we were by Robin's emergency bat signal so he is already on his way. We are leaving now." The group rose as one and left immediately. This day was not going well.

----------------Line Break-----------------

Batman got there about three minutes before the rest of the Justice League do to his..... unconventional methods of transportation. Batman stormed into the room and saw with horror what had happened. He collected his son into his arms and cradled his head in his arms. That was how the Justice League found him: with Robins head in his lap and stroking his unruly black hair. Robin was just now waking up, coming out of a stupor. "Batman?" The teen croaked out." Yeah, Robin. I'm here." Both teams watched the pair with a silence coated sadness." Batman, Robin said again, I'm dying. Aren't I?" The Dark Knight averted his gaze and looked back at his partner." Yes, Robin. You are dying." The teen nodded like this was what he expected." If you tried, I wouldn't make it back to the mountain, would I?" Again, batman had to look away." No, you wouldn't make it." Megan grabbed onto Superboy's shirt at this statement and started crying louder. The mentors who were standing near their partners, placed a comforting arm on their shoulders. Those who were not, moved so they were. Black Canary was in shock." B-Batman..... If I'm going t-to die, I want t-to see you.....one last time. The r-real you." The teen choked out. The older man and the teen reached up at the same time with shaking hands. They grabbed their masks and pulled them off. Normally, this would have been a happy moment, but it wasn't, because it was Robins final request. Batman was Bruce Wayne and Robin was his ward Richard Grayson. Now the team knew what the League already knew. Batman wasn't just losing a partner, he was losing his son." I l-love you.... Dad." Bruce's eyes were watering. "I love you too, my little bird." Dick's eyes closed and when they opened, they were fogged over with delirium. "D-dad, I c-can't breath. It h-hurts." Bruce was crying now. He knew his son could barely see him and he definitely couldn't see anyone else." I know. I know it hurts, Dick. Just go to sleep. Go to sleep, Dick, and it will all be okay." Now Bruce felt like he couldn't breath. The ground was cracking beneath his feet. His worst fear was now becoming a reality:he was losing his son." B-Bruce... where is A-Alfred? H-he's always t-there when.... when I g-go to s-sleep." Bruce stroked Richards hair again." It's o-okay. Alfred is in the kitchen. He'll be there... w-when you.... wake up." Wally was sobbing into Flash's suit, as were all the others, save Kaldur and Superboy. "Just go to sleep. I love you. All the pain will go away if you just go to sleep." Richard nodded weekly and then, with one final, shuddering breath, he closed his eyes. Bruce wrapped his arms around his boy and pulled him against his chest. He was sobbing now. Heart wrenching sobs. Megan had dropped to her knees and Superboy was doing his best to comfort her without falling apart himself. Kaldur had his back to everyone while he tried, and failed, to compose himself. Wally was inconsolable about the loss of his "brother". Artemis didn't know what to do. She was in shock. Even with Green Arrows arm around her. Superman had the hardest job: trying to comfort a grieving father. As he approached the man, he almost felt like breaking down too, because in the midst of sobbing, Bruce was asking what he was supposed to tell Alfred.