Alexia

Logan's POV

I like to think that I'm grateful and thankful for things in life. I know at school I may come across as arrogant, and someone who doesn't really care about anything but football. But the people at school don't really know me. Not the real me. But right now I'm grateful I don't have a mate. I'm pretty sure if anyone in my pack knew I was thinking that, I'd get a right lecture about the importance of mates. But that's the problem isn't it? They are important.

My pack is the Blackmoon Pack, one of the two largest packs in North America. The Clearwater pack is the other. Our packs get on well together. Our Alpha which is also my father, and their Alpha always have each other's backs  during attacks or issues. Attacks aren't very frequent because of our size, and other packs know that we work well together when needed, but it does happen. You always get stupid Alphas thinking they can take over. Like the one last night.

The Clearwater pack had been attacked. There were a few fatalities but everything's back in order now. Some rouges had charged into their grounds trying to get to the mate of the Alphas son Jason. It was a close call but she's ok. She knows how to fight so could protect herself from getting really hurt or taken, while waiting for help to come.

A wolf needs their mate. To be the best that they can be, they need their mate. Especially an Alpha, or one inline to be Alpha. When Jason's ready he will be the next true Alpha of the Clearwater pack. Like I'm next true Alpha of the Blackmoon pack. But if the rouges had gotten to Abby, and killed her, it would have made it easier to take over Clearwater and just some random Alpha wolf would be in charge. Without Abby, Jason would have never been able to take over the pack. And without a true Alpha the Pack is weak.

There are two types of Alphas. There's an Alpha. And there's a true Alpha. Many wolves are Alphas. They have that gene in them. They are stronger and bigger than normal werewolves, they think they can rule anyone or anything. They are stupid to think that.

Then there are true Alphas. We are even bigger and stronger. We can command wolves with our voices. We are respected because we have earned that respect.  We are fair and just. We have Alpha blood running through our veins. It's been passed down through generations. The Blackmoon pack has always been ruled by my ancestors. We are true Alphas. It makes our pack strong. One day I will have a son or daughter and when they are ready they will take over and so on and so on

An Alphas mate is what balances them. Helps them to see things more clearly. Makes him or her stronger, better. When a mate dies, the other won't be far behind. A wolf who has found their mate won't want to live without them. I've known werewolves who have carried on living for years after their mate has died, mainly because of small children. But they aren't the same. Their eyes lose that sparkle and they may pretend to be happy for the sake of the child, but inside their wolf is in a constant state of grief and torment each passing day. I can't imagine how it must feel.

I never want to feel that.

True Alphas really are the most powerful of the werewolves. Their only weakness is their mate. You kill their mate, you eventually kill them. That's why I'm grateful I haven't found my mate yet. The older we get, well up to a certain point anyway, the stronger we get. I'm only 17, I need to be stronger. And not have my head full of college and university. I wouldn't want my mate to be in constant danger, like Abby is now. I've spoken to Jason. He's livid, but also scared of what could have happened to her. He's not letting her out of his sight. Not that I blame him. Although I don't want my mate yet, I'd still like to think I'd be somewhat protective over her when I do find her. And I do want to find her.

Just not yet.

Right now I want as normal a life that I can get. I want to go to college to play football. I'm good. My werewolf strength and speed help, so I have to make sure I tone down what I'm actually able to do, but I'm on track to get a scholarship at the top sports school in the country. Not that I need scholarship money, but at least then my dad can't moan at me tell, telling me I'm wasting pack money. And then there's the issue about me moving away from the pack. All he wants me to do is find my mate so I can take over from him. He says when I finish school it's time, that I shouldn't be thinking about college. Just the pack. Only the pack. Always the pack. But what about what I want. It's my life. That's another reason why I'm grateful I haven't found my mate. He won't let me take over without her.