Chapter 17 - Emma

Andrew disappears instantly and I can tell that he didn't like the way I was hugging Dwayne. Can't blame him though, I didn't like it either.

I can hear father talking to Dwayne downstairs followed by laughter. I head downstairs and shove my phone into my pocket.

"Who was that, dear?" My father asks, his eyes scanning my pocket in which I just shoved my phone.

"Just a friend from high school, she wants to catch up."

Father nods but he looks at me as if judging whether I'm telling the truth or not.

I notice Dwayne's eyes scan my body stopping just below my neck. I pull my shirt's collar up higher and walk away feeling uncomfortable.

As I get up the stairs, I go into my second bedroom. This house has eleven rooms and when we first moved in, father said I could have two.

I picked the one at the back because it had a large balcony, and later on became the place I used to sneak out. The bedroom at the front of the house has the street view.

I get in and lock the door to ensure father doesn't walk in. Once that's sorted, I walk out into the balcony. Andrew isn't there and disappointment fills me.

I feel like I should be mad at him but I can't. In all honestly, I want to wrap my arms around him and kiss him until I can't breath anymore.

I notice light pouring into the room from the hallway which means he must have made it inside. That's better than nothing.

I inch closer to the balcony, holding the rail and then climb onto the bricked wall fence. I stare back hoping no one sees me before pulling my leg over the rail to his balcony and crossing over.

I get down low because from our backyard you can't get the view of his balcony and that means anyone from my family could see me. Not that anyone is home besides father and Dwayne.

I knock on the glass door that separates the balcony from the bedroom but nothing happens.

I stick my head against the glass trying to peak inside but the White lace curtains make it hard. I notice a figure walk over and with another tap against the glass it slides open.

Andrew hooks his finger into my shorts and pulls me inside the bedroom before sliding the door shut.

My breath catches because he smells musky and woody, and almost like the beach back at Algard.

He presses me against the wall and kisses me. "I've missed you so bad," he says breathlessly.

I nod pulling his body closer to mine until his body is pressed right against mine. My hand wraps around his back and I lean in to kiss him harder, pressing my lips rock hard against his.

My hand explores the curves of his body, down from his hips right up to his hair. His hand presses against my belly before wrapping around the thin line against my back.

"I don't like you with Dwayne," Andrew says. "I know I shouldn't act bossy or try and control you but I don't like you near him one bit."

I smile. "I don't like it either," I whisper into his ear. "I like you though."

"I'm going to stop everything," Andrew says. "Just for you."

I smile. "Just for me," I whisper back lightly.

"You need to listen and do everything I say when I tell you so."

I nod. "Anything and everything."

Andrew wraps his hands around my face and pulls me closer. "Are you willing to leave them behind?"

I feel like pain should register at that but it doesn't. I almost don't feel a thing. "Yes," I say honestly.

If they can barely care about me then why should I care about them. I'm sick and tired of trying to be the perfect daughter they dreamed of. The one they paraded to everyone and showed off like I was a trophy. I always went along because I thought it was out of love...at least everything I did was out of love.

Andrew squeezes my hand when he notices my expression which forces me to smile in his direction. I don't fake smile though, with him it's genuine.

"Richard," Andrew says.

I stop to look up at him. "Richard?" I ask in confusion.

"You're father is setting your marriage because he thinks he can get a deal out of it. Let's give him an even better deal."

"I don't get it," I whisper.

"I need to call Richard over. I've got the best idea and only he will be willing to go this far."

------------------

I kiss him goodbye as he holds me by the hips to help me over the balcony. I grab the bricked fence and push myself up in a standing position as I balance myself and grab the railing of my bedroom's balcony railing. I take a deep breath and jump over and sneak back inside my bedroom.

I hope Andrew's plan works. It's a long one but hopefully it'll work. Enough so I don't have to put up with this act any further.

Richard confirmed that he would be over first thing tomorrow. The plan is about to go down. Father won't know what hit him.

I leave the room and walk downstairs to notice Dwayne standing by the front door talking to my father. He smiles when he sees me and gives a wave before hugging my father and leaving. I smile back which puts a smile on my father's face.

"See it wasn't that bad," father says. "Dwayne's a really nice guy."

I feel like telling him exactly how I feel about Dwayne and the guy he really is but I can't ruin the plan so I just smile and nod. "Yea, I forgot how great he is. It's good to be back and see everyone again. I forgot the beauty of William's Square."

Father nods. "That's more like it, my girl."

I turn in hopes that he won't see my true expression and I walk into the kitchen. I pour myself a cup of orange juice as father follows behind. He grabs a cup too and slides it across the bench as he takes a seat on the high rise stool.

I pour him some orange juice before sliding it back. "I'm sorry," I say quietly. "Should've listened to you earlier. You were right about Dwayne and all of this."

Father gives my hand a squeeze. "I'm glad you think so."

Knowing Andrew is in the building behind ours makes me feel safe because honestly speaking I don't feel safe at all with my own family.

Mother's head peaks into the kitchen. "Hope I'm not interrupting."

I smile even though I don't want to. "Of course not, mum!"

I walk over and wrap my arms around her. When she hugs me back I feel warm for a few seconds and memory of my childhood flood through. When she used to tuck me into bed and kiss my forehead. When she would be at all my school plays cheering me on. When she used to sing beside me in the car to all my favourite songs.

I blink away the tears because I don't know exactly what's going on and part of me hopes that this is just an imagination and that mother loves me immensely.

I know my parents care for me, just not as much as they care about the ravishing lifestyle, money and fame.