Chapter 5 - Emma

I stop by the front door. "Grandma, I'm going!"

"Where?" She asks. "To see Andrew."

I twist to face her. "What! Of course not!"

She lifts her eyebrow as she gives me a questioning look.

"What were you doing at the garage yesterday?" I ask.

"Visiting Andrew, dear."

I roll my eyes. "Really? Or you were just pushing your agenda on me."

Grandma gives me an innocent look. "Agenda?"

"You keep insisting I like Andrew. Well I don't."

She smiles my way. "Okay if that's what you say, dear."

I breath in and turn and walk out. So grandma has decided to officially drive me nuts. I don't even know the dude and she thinks I like him. I just have to not bump into him today. That means no going to the garage and definitely avoiding the beach.

I tilt my head. Then where do I go? I don't really know anywhere else.

I leave my car home today. This town is quite small that you could literally walk your way through. When I begin walking I realise that I've stopped in front of the small cafe that Andrew showed me.

Great! Everything I do in this town somehow reminds me of him. It's empty when I walk in. Just an old couple sitting in the left corner.

Gabby smiles when she sees me. "Emma, so good to see you here again."

I nod. "Likewise."

She shows me to a seat. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"A coffee would be nice, and if you have a slice of say a chocolate cake, I'd appreciate it."

"Of course, lovely."

I look out at the trees. I'm curious what's out there. It kind of looks like a place no one goes. All isolated which makes it exactly my sort of place.

When Gabby brings about the coffee and cake, I ask her about the trees. She tells me it's the woods out there. No one goes there because wild animals live there though they never sneak out. Several deaths have taken place to those who have decided to go.

I look back. It doesn't look scary. I mean what could live there that could be that dangerous. It tempts me but I give Gabby the nod because she's watching me, almost warning me not to go there.

I sit drinking my coffee and from time to time, looking at that old couple sitting by the corner of the cafe. They look like they're in their seventies and they're holding hands like they're still madly in love. I love that. I can't help but smile because that kind of love warms my heart.

That's when Andrew steps foot in the cafe. Shit! I look down at my book which is popped open against the table and I bring my coffee cup near my face in hopes that he won't see me. Can't have grandma adding more fuel to the fire.

I notice him order a coffee to go. He waits by the cashier as Gabby makes the coffee. Without noticing me, he turns and leaves.

I let go of the breath I was holding and a calm expression returns to my face. I take the last sip of my coffee and spoon the last piece of chocolate cake in my mouth before shoving my book back in my bag.

The woods. I know Gabby warned me against it but there's not many things to do here and since I've decided against the beach, I may as well go. How bad could it be?

I turn taking a look at Gabby who is busy serving the few new customers who've just walked through the door before I walk in the direction of the woods.