Chapter 12 - Protected

Rory's POV

We drove in silence to the school. I could feel the tension coming from Jillian. I knew she was sensing trouble and it was driving me crazy. I didn't want anything happening to her. I loved her more than I loved myself. Since the first time I seen her I was drawn to her. I tried to fight it for a whole two hours but it didn't work. I was meant for her and nothing was going to keep me away, not even myself.

 I never thought it could be this good. From what my dad told me I thought it was a curse. I thought I would be stuck protecting some shallow, superficial chick that I had nothing in common with. I was so wrong. Jillian's everything I could have ever asked for and more. It's as if someone went into my head and built me my dream girl.

That first day I was so freaked out. I didn't know what to think about it. I knew she would feel some form of pull towards me but nothing like I did for her. Then she sat next to me at lunch. She was so close, so intoxicatingly close. I wanted to throw her over my shoulder and run away with her. I had tried to play it off so cool. I don't think it worked though. My head was spinning and I had to constantly control my body from reaching out and grabbing her.

Then in gym those stupid guys were talking about my girl. I had been sitting in the bleachers spacing out until I heard her name. "Jillian's so hot" "Yeah she's one of the good ones" and then "You've never seen her in a bathing suit" This came from some guy named Rob. He was obviously friends with her from the way he talked about her and it sounded like he had a crush on her. I wanted to crush his face. But I couldn't let anyone know I heard them. I was too far away, for a human, to hear their conversation. And I would look like a nutcase if I beat the crap out of him for talking about someone I just met. I couldn't get expelled from this school too. I had to be on my best behavior. I decided taking the door to the gym off would be less detrimental to my attendance. It only cost me one day away from her.

I wanted to laugh thinking back to that Friday night when I made Shawn follow her around with me. It was fun scaring that dork away from her at the arcade. She hasn't said anything about him yet but I know why she was out with him. Shawn told me the whole story. I could never see Jillian with someone like him. It made me so mad just thinking about her being with anyone else but me.

I had made so many excuses to touch her that night. I could sense her confusion towards me. She wasn't sure why she felt the way she did and I didn't help her with any of it. If anything I made it worse. I acted like an ass. I should have told her that night or Saturday when we were eating would have been a perfect opportunity but I was scared. I was scared she would reject me so I let it go, hoping she would like me for me and she did.

I scanned the streets again for the fifteenth time. I was always assessing threat levels when she was around me. I was put here to protect her and I'm taking my job seriously. Especially since she's so damn powerful. That was unexpected. I was so surprised today when she tried reading me. I hadn't been able to read her since we met. I just thought her powers hadn't manifested yet. I figured she would have an elemental power since that was usually who we were put here fo,r but Spirit. That totally blindsided me. I had thought it was strange at lunch that day when her sisters were holding Fire and Water and she still hadn't received her power. I should have known, but I didn't know Spirit hid from people like me.

An uneasy feeling came over me as we neared the school. Jillian was right. Something's wrong. I looked over at her from the corner of my eye. She's so beautiful. I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I hope she was telling me the truth earlier. I really hope she wants to be with me forever because now that I have her I will never let her go. She means everything to me now.

I understand my dad better now. I have hated him for such a long time. I thought he  was crazy chasing after some woman who didn't want anything to do with him. It was so pathetic but I get it now. I would do the same thing just to see her face again. Just to hear her voice. I just don't know how he deals with the hatred. I am constantly searching Jillian just to make sure she's okay. I do it automatically now. How is my dad able to handle the rejection coming from my mom. I think I would rather die.

As I pulled into the parking lot my jaw clenched hard as I felt my eyes turn. Lily hadn't seen him yet. This idiot is going to get himself killed. I could feel the hostility rolling off of everyone from in my truck. I seen Lily turn her head to look at me. She just noticed him and was trying to see how I would react. Cameron was not going to get in my way. I don't care who his mommy is. Shawn looked at me as I got closer. He nodded his head slowly. He was letting me know this wasn't a nice social visit. Cameron was here for a reason and that reason was my girl.

Shawn had Jolie next to him and he was shielding her with his body slightly. Lauren and Josie were talking to the scumbag while Matt and Rob stood in the middle not really knowing what to do. Rob seen my truck and took a step towards Shawn. That's unexpected. I thought he would be on Cameron's side. They are in the same coven. I guess Cameron doesn't have too many fans.

I could sense the nervousness coming from Jillian. She knew I was mad and she was scared of what I was going to do. I planned on getting rid of this annoying pest once and for all. No one was going to get in my way. I needed him to know she was taken and he needed to give up already. I was glad no one knew she held Spirit because if that got out I knew there would be trouble. Athalia sounded so power hungry and I couldn't have Jillian in her crosshairs. Athalia would be threatened by her. I knew her kind. She would make it her sole mission to have Jillian be with her son. I would protect Jillian. I was her Protector and I would keep her Protected.

I'll try to put the next chapter up by the end of the week. I hope you enjoy Rory's point of view. Thanks to all my readers. I appreciate you all so much.