Chapter 8 - Protected

Chapter 8

            I had slept in longer than usual this morning. My sleep habits were getting really messed up. It was a good thing though, less time I had to wait for Rory. I wondered if I should tell anyone he was my boyfriend. I didn't really feel like dealing with the drama of it all right now. I'd tell them another time.

            After I ate breakfast nana called another family meeting.

            "I would like to go out and cast a cleansing and protection spell on us all" she said.

            We all nodded in agreement. My mom's senses had everyone on edge.

            We held our family circles in Nana's garden. She went to collect the herbs while I grabbed the candles and matches. This will be my first circle casting where all the elements come to me. I was feeling a bit nervous. At least Tasha was here to help me if I needed it.

            "Jillian, you will be leading this circle and every other one within this family from now on" Nana said.

            "Why?!" I squeaked. I was really nervous now.

            "You're the most powerful now" she answered as if I was slow.

            Okay I can do this. I took a deep breath and sent a silent plea to Spirit. 'Please help me to do this right.'

            I took the knife my mom handed me and gouged a pentagram into the soft dirt. I looked up at them all. They stared back waiting for me to give them directions. I looked over at Tasha.

            "It will come to you" she said softly.

            I took a deep breath. "Nana you take Earths position" I said taking my place at the top of the pentagram. Tasha moved to Air of course. "Jolie you take fire and Josie take water." They both smiled hugely at me. They liked being included in the circles. They were usually left out because they were the youngest. Mom and Tessa stood in the middle of the circle. My mom held the lighter and Tessa had a bundle of white sage and cedar wrapped in twine. Okay here goes.

            "Earth please come to me" my mom lit the candles as I called all the elements names in turn. Tessa lit the bundle she held and waved it around the circle as I said the cleansing spell. "Cleanse our souls and our mind, let our Spirits find, Elements lead the way, Bad Spirits stay away, white sage and cedar clear the path, we do not want to feel your wrath" I was yelling by the end. The wind was gusting around us. I smiled at Tasha as she made the smoke wrap around each of us. Tessa smudged out the bundle of sage and cedar around the pentagram I had made in the ground.

            We all turned to face Earth. "Earth, shield us with your mountains and forests" I called as the trees and plants growing around us bent inwards on us. I grinned. This was unbelievable. "Air, circle around us and carry us away from the bad." The wind swirled around us fiercely, threatening to take us off of our feet. "Fire, block evils path with your powerful heat." Jolie's candle grew brighter and brighter.

            "Ouch" she said with a smile dropping the candle to the ground. The flame should have went out but it only grew brighter. Jolie threw her head back and laughed. "This is my power" she said with a smile. She bent and picked the candle back up. The flame danced happily.

            We turned to Water. "Water, wash away the evil at bay." It smelled like a fresh spring rain as lightning cracked overhead. I looked up at the sky as the rain came down. Whoa, the sun was just shining how did that happen. I looked over at Josie. She had a devious look on her face.