Chapter 7 - Protected

Chapter 7

            It was late in the night and I couldn't sleep. My heart wouldn't slow down. I rolled onto my back and stared at the ceiling. Today had been one of the best days in my life, but it had ended strangely once I got home. I replayed it all.

            Four wheeling was a lot of fun. We had bounced and shook all over the place. Rory was a great driver and I could see how much fun he was having. We did 360's and 180's.  We climbed huge hills and went down steep inclines. He even let Shawn drive for a bit.

            We had come to a stop in a wooded valley. Shawn took a spot light from the back of the truck that Rory hooked onto his door frame. He turned it on and we seen at least twenty shining pairs of eyes staring back at us. Some of the deer were so little, their eyes barely reaching over the tall grass.

            Rory had shut his truck off and pulled me out with him. His truck was a muddy mess, but he looked pleased. As if the dirtier it was ran in direct correlation of the fun we were having. We did have a great time. I liked doing stuff like this. I was a self proclaimed tomboy.

            Rory and I climbed onto the hood of his truck and laid with our backs against the windshield. Shawn and Jolie were in the bed of the truck. Rory held me close as we watched the stars in the sky. I pointed out constellations to him. The easy ones like the North Star and the Big and Little Dippers.

            "What are you doing tomorrow?" he asked still looking up at the sky.

            "I don't have any plans" I answered.

            "Can I see you again?"

            "Of course" I said happy that he seemed to want me as much as I wanted him.

            "I have to work in the morning and clean my truck. Can I come over after?"

            "Yeah" I answered excitedly. "I can help you with your truck if you want."

            "Okay" he agreed. He was silent for a minute or two. "Lily, will you go out with me?" he asked in an extremely serious voice. He looked me in the eyes. There was something in his eyes I couldn't figure out.

            I knew what he meant but I decided to play dumb. "I'm already out with you." He looked at me with knowing eyes. A smile tugged at the corner of my mouth.

            "Will you be my girlfriend?" he asked exasperatedly.

            The smile that was threatening now took over my mouth. "Yes" I said shaking my head too as if saying it wasn't enough. I was so excited, but nervous at the same time. I liked him so much but I've never had a boyfriend before and we have only known each other for three days. It felt right so I wasn't going to question it.

            I sat up remembering something. He sat up with me. "So if I'm your girlfriend you have to tell me something."