Chapter 11 - Protected

Here's another chapter for you. I think the end of the last one might have been a bit confusing. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Chapter 11

            We were laying on the blanket from last night. Rory was playing with my hair as I lay across his stomach.

            "Okay so you have heightened senses, even more so than a normal witch and heightened strength. You can tell the power that someone holds and also block that power" I summed up everything he had just told me.

            "I can't block the elemental powers" he added.

            "How did you block me then?" I asked.

            "I can block the elements outside of the protection of the circle, but if you had casted a circle I would not have been able to block you."

            "So I'm stronger than you?" I grinned wickedly.

            "Only inside a circle and get that evil grin off of your face. You can't hurt me" he said defiantly.

            "Why not?" I asked even though I never would. I loved him too much.

            "That's why."

            "Are you a mind reader, too?" I asked shocked.

            "No" he laughed. "But I can sense what you were thinking. We belong together. I was put on this earth because of you. Anything that affects you affects me and vice versa."

            Something clicked in my head. "So that's why I keep getting those horrible shudders down my back. It happens when you're mad."

            "Yeah, I'm sorry, I know they hurt" he cringed. "That's why I punched my door yesterday. You were so mad at your mom that it boiled over into me."

            "So what would happen if one of us were hurt?" I shuddered at the thought.

            "I would end up like my dad" he said sadly.

            "What?" I was confused again. What did his dad have to do with this.

"My mom and dad were like us. My mom had an Earth affinity and my dad was her Protector. She left him a couple of months after I was born and he turned into a monster. Angry all the time,  he fights non-stop, and practically stalks my mom every time he's out of prison. She travels the world trying to stay away from him.

            "Why would she leave?" I didn't think I would ever be able to leave Rory. Especially if we  had a baby together.

            "No one really knows but my dad said she fell out of love. And supposedly we feel more than the female does" Rory said quietly.

I snorted at that. "How could she leave you?" I whispered. I was amazed that anyone could be so cruel.

            "My aunt said she was selfish. She said she was heartless so she took my dad's heart with her. He has problems. Every time he would get out he would try to take me from Camilia. That's why we moved around so much. I went with him once and it was the most horrible three months of my life. He told me what I would become. I didn't want it though. I didn't want to end up like him."

"You won't" I said getting up to look into his eyes.

"You could leave me Jillian. You could hurt me."

"NO, I couldn't" I promised him with my whole heart. "I'm in too deep, there's no turning back now. You have me for forever."

"It can change, but I'm glad you think so. I'm glad you want me, too. I've been so angry thinking my gift was a curse. I'll be happy just to spend a fraction of my life with you" he said looking deep into my eyes as if he was searching for any sign of weakness on my part.