Chapter 17

The drive was nice and the kids behaved. Pulling into the parking spot at the zoo the kids squealed with excitement.

"This is going to be awesome." Avery said. "Can we see the lions?"

"Of course we can." TJ said.

"Monkeys too?" Amelia asked.

"Yes can't forget the monkeys." Summer said.

"I want to see all of the animals." Melody said.

"Yes all the animals we will see. Let's get started." TJ said.

Getting out of the car they headed into the zoo. Summer held onto TJ's hand as the kids walked on either side of them staying close.

Avery pointed to the giraffes. "He's taller than you dad." Avery giggled.

"Of course. He is. I'm not a giraffe." TJ laughed.

"There's a freak show." Someone said.

TJ continued walking with the kids and Summer squeezed his hand harder. She leaned over and whispered to him. "Don't let that person get to you." Summer said.

The kids raced to where the gorillas were. There was a plexi glass protecting them from the gorillas. The kids put their hands up as the one gorilla did the same. The kids giggled.

"Look they are having a good time." Summer said.

"Yeah they are." TJ smiled.

Summer leaned over and kiss TJ.

"Why don't you kiss a real man?" A guy said.

Summer frowned.

"Don't let him get to you." TJ said.

Summer smiled. "You are more of a man then that guy ever will be."

TJ smiled. "I got a beautiful woman by my side to tell me that."

The kids went off to the next exhibit as TJ and Summer followed. They enjoyed looking at all the animals.

"Can we got to the petting zoo?" Amelia asked.

"Of course we can." TJ said.

"Goats and sheep." Avery said.

"Pigs too." Melody said.

Walking towards the petting zoo the shouting of things continued.

"At least I have a real penis." The guy said.

TJ continued walking ignoring it.

"Did you adopt those kids?" The guy continued.

"Oh hell no." TJ said.

"No don't do anything that's what he wants." Summer said as she grabbed TJ's hand again.

"It's fine to talk about me just don't talk about the kids." TJ said.

Avery meanwhile allowed the girls to go ahead of him. He was bending down to tie his shoe.

"Going to have your son be a girl?" The guy said.

This time Avery popped up and went over to the man. "Sir, I'm sorry a pretty lady doesn't want to hold your hand. If I wanted to be a girl then I will be a pretty one."

That shut the guy up and he walked away. Avery went back over and grabbed Summer's hand.

"That was very nice and brave of you." Summer said.

"Aww well what can I say. My dad has taught me a lot." Avery smiled as he looked over at TJ.

"Why don't you catch up with your sister and in a little bit we will get some lunch." TJ said.

"Okay." Avery said as he ran up with his sister and Melody.

They got to the petting zoo and TJ and Summer stood outside the pen and watched them. They were laughing and having a good time. A goat tried to eat Avery's shirt.

"Silly goat that's not food." Avery giggled.

"You got a smart kid." Summer said.

"I know I do. I'm proud of him." TJ said.

"We got some good kids." Summer said.

"Yes we do." TJ agreed.

After the petting zoo they went and looked at a few more animals before stopping at the food court to get something to eat. The kids wanted burger king. Ordering their food they went and sat down at the table.

"That's him." A woman's voice said.

"No that can't be." Another woman's voice chimed in.

TJ turned their way and sure enough the women smiled at him.

"Can I help you ladies with something?" TJ asked.

"We read your articles back when you were Tamara. We loved them. Our daughter just came out as trans. We would be honored if you could meet with him." The woman said.

"Where is he?" TJ asked.

Soon a young boy about ten years old walked over to them.

"Maxwell this is TJ the young man we were telling you about." The woman said.

Maxwell turned towards TJ. "Hey it's nice to meet you."

"You as well." TJ said.

"Will I get facial hair?" Maxwell asked.

"Of course you will. Just got to wait maybe like a six to ten years all really depends when you hit puberty." TJ said.

"My moms' have been so supportive of me. I'm glad I can be who I'm meant to be." Maxwell said. "I don't want to take time away from your family."

"It's fine. I'm glad I got to meet you." TJ said.

"You as well." Maxwell smiled and turned back to his moms.

Summer smiled. "I just got an idea."

"What do you mean?" TJ asked.

"Why don't you write you own book? What it's like to be transgender and what you went through? Then you can even do your own articles at headquarters and write to transgender people that may end up needing help." Summer said. "I think you can reach out to a lot of people like that."

"I'm sure that I can." TJ said. "It would be a great idea."

Summer, TJ and the kids finished their lunch then went to look at more animals.