Interrupted (Rogers x reader)

Comenzar desde el principio

~~~

"Nat, you take floors 8, 9, and 10. (Y/N), you get 11, 12, and 13. I've got the top five. Stark, Barton and Thor have the rest nearly clear already and will move in to help as soon as they can."

Once inside the apartment complex, the three of you ran up the stairwell to your assigned floors, searching door to door for any survivors of the blast that had hit their building. It turned your stomach at some of the sights left behind by the destruction, but you continued on in the hopes that you could rescue even one person. Door after door, you were coming up empty, and you could feel your emotions start to waver.

"Damn hormones," you mumbled to yourself with a hitch in your throat, when Steve's voice came through the comms.

"I've got nothing up here, working my way out. Report."

"One more apartment and I'll join you," Nat replied. "Nothing here either."

"I've got three more and I'll be right behind you," you joined in with a flat tone, "I'm empty."

"Rendezvous on the south corner, three minutes."

Within half of those three minutes you were at your final apartment, standing at the door and staring at the weathered and soot-covered knob, finding it impossible to will yourself to turn it. It was going to be just one more disappointment and a scene that would break your heart, so why even bother?

'Because it's your job, (Y/N)', you thought to yourself with a low groan in your throat. You took as deep of a breath as you could of the air that smelled of fire and carried dirt to your lungs, closed your eyes...and stopped. You heard something. Or rather, someone. You flung the door open and followed the nearly inaudible cries from a back room, pushing debris that blocked your path in a frantic attempt to reach whoever they were.

"Tony, I've got one," you called out as you came upon the small girl, cowering in the far corner. "Thirteenth floor, north corner."

"I'm on it," he replied and hurried to your location. You dared to take a sigh of relief when you heard the repulsors growing near, but all that was quickly dashed when the building began to shake beneath your feet. The girl screamed in your arms, her hands clasped tightly around your neck.

"I've got you, sweetheart, I've got you," you consoled, hurrying to the window. "Hey, listen," you tried to soothe her, "do you want to meet Iron Man? He told me that he really wants to meet you. Maybe show you how to fly! Does that sound okay?"

"Mmm hmm," she mumbled into your neck and nodded slightly, though not releasing her grip. "Now?"

"Right now," you smiled at her, seeing Tony at the window. "I need you to stay calm, okay? Iron Man is going to take you somewhere safe. Can you be brave for just a few more minutes for him?

"...okay."

The building shook violently again, this time knocking you off of your footing and into the wall. The girl screamed into your ear but you hurriedly threw the window open and thrust her through it to Tony before she could object.

"Tony, go!"

Tony wrapped one arm around her and reached the other out to you, but before you could connect, the building shook again; you dropped out of sight as he screamed your name, and the skyline of the city was permanently changed.

~~~

You had lost all sense of time now, being surrounded by nothing but broken bricks and beams, covered in dirt and debris so thick that you might never be able to wash it all away. The sensation in your right leg was gone now, but the left was engulfed in a searing pain that shot up through your hip with even the slightest motion. When you cautiously reached your hand down towards it, all you could find was a concrete beam crushing down on it.