Chapter 22: Liore Part 2

Ed's P.O.V.

I sat near the window while (Y/N) stood as we looked down to see Rose standing in front of a tombstone. I heard Al walk in behind us as he began to speak.

"I spoke to Rose. That grave belongs to her boyfriend. He was all she had. Her parents died when she was a little girl. She's convinced that Cornello can bring him back to life."

"Poor Rose..." (Y/N) said.

"And he's leading her on, letting her think he can do it." I responded.

"Maybe he can." Al added, making me to turn to him. "What if Cornello really is a holy man? Those scriptures. Maybe there is something out there. Something we can't explain."

I glared at him before turning back to look out the window.

"Don't count on it."

When I looked back, I saw Cornello and one of his lackeys standing behind Rose.

*TIME SKIP*

Al (Y/N) and I watched Cornello turn a glass of water into wine while the crowd cheered. He then turned a regular lump of wood into one of the those sun god statues. This guys got to be pulling at my hair right now. It's alchemy, nothing more.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"Well, it looks pretty obvious. He's using alchemy. " Al said.

"I agree, that's alchemy, plain and simple." (Y/N) said.

"Yeah, but still. Something's wrong here, it's not equal-"

"Hey guys!" Rose interrupted, before pulling (Y/N)'s hood down and placing a flower in her hair. (Y/N) looked at Rose, confused.

"Sorry, I thought you would look pretty with a flower in your hair."

I saw (Y/N) blush a bit before quietly saying 'Thank you' and pulling her hood up. Rose just smiled before looking at where Cornello was.

"How are you liking your first miracle gathering? He's amazing isn't he?"

"Well, he's an amazing actor, I'll give him that." I said. "But those aren't miracles he's swindling you."

Rose just looked at me with an 'What are you talking about' look.

"Ed, we don't know that. We just know he's using alchemy and is ignoring the laws."

"What laws?" Rose asked. I hopped off my suitcase and walked forward to get a closer look.

"This isn't witchcraft, it's science and you don't make things out of thin air. In chemistry, a reaction has to be balanced. So does alchemy." I said.

"It's an equation, Rose. Your output has to be of equal mass with the materials you started with. The base elements have to be similar too." (Y/N) said. "For example, the radio Al fixed."

"That's right. I couldn't make it bigger, or shrink or something." Al said.

"It's a founding principle. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost, but that holy bastard is totally disregarding the law." I said.

"Because he's working miracles!" Rose shouted. A young girl walked up to Cornello with a dead bird in her hands. Cornello just smiled at her and placed his hands over the bird. The bird suddenly got up and flew from her hands.

'What do you say now, Ed? I'll bet you can't do that with alchemy." Rose said. "It's a true miracle. It has to be."

She says that, but what she doesn't know that the same bird he 'revived' flew towards a tree and collapsed. It was still dead.