Chapter 20: The Coal Mining Town Part 2

I waited for the sword to impact with my flesh.

But nothing happened. I heard a clatter of metal fall to the floor. Looking up, I saw Edward standing in front of me and the boy. His arm met with the sword, whiched caused the blade to cut in half. Before I could panic, I remembered that it was his right arm that blocked the sword.

"Who the HELL are you?!" Yoki exclaimed, pissed off.

"When I heard the Lieutenant would be dropping in, I'd thought I'd come by and say hello." Edward replied, showing off his watch. Yoki's jaw dropped, looking at the watch in awe. One of his soldiers walked up to him and whispered to him.

"Who does this kid think he is, sir?"

"You moron! That watch makes him a state alchemist, which means he reports directly to King Bradley!"

The guard gasped in shock. Yoki slides towards Ed with a kind look on his face.

"Please do forgive him and his idiocity. My name is Lieutenant Yoki and I am in charge here."

'Yeah! We noticed that bastard!' I shouted in my head, knowing Ed was thinking the same thing. "Now, what business might you have here in our humble little town?"

"I'm just here to conduct an inspection."

"An inspection? M-marvelous! But you must come stay in my mansion. I hope you haven't had to mingle with these loathsome dogs for too long." Yoki said as they walked out.

'Is he seriously going to go with them?!' I thought in my head as I ran to him, grabbing his sleeve.

"Hey, hold on a minute!" I said, but was then pushed away by the Lieutenant.

"Haven't you already done enough, ms? Why can't you people like you learn your place?....You ungrateful child." He said, murmering the last words quiet enough for me to hear.

I gasped as he walked out, closing the door behind him. My head hung low and my eyes stung with tears. Al walked up behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?...." Al asked.

"I'm fine." I said, turning to him with a fake smile on my face. "I'm okay."

I felt another hand go on my shoulder, making me look over to see Haling giving me a sincere look.

"Hey. Thanks for sticking up for us, and for protecting my son."

"Oh...it's was nothing really....I just....I really don't like that guy, expecially the way he was treating you people...."

"Well, what you did was very brave. And um...." I tilted my head in confusion. "I'm sure your father would've been very proud of you....."

My eyes widened as I remembered I needed to apologize to Haling for my outburst.

"Sir, I am really sorry for earlier.....you didn't deserve to get yelled at and I shouldn't have-"

"Hey, don't worry. I understand. You were just upset....I'm sure your father was a great man.....But, I can't changed how I feel about the military....."

"I understand, sir...." I said, looking back at the door.

'Edward....what exactly are you planning?'

*TIME SKIP*

Al and I went upstairs to our rooms after everything began to settle down. I was wearing a black long sleeve v-neck shirt with gray pajama bottoms. I layed down on the bed staring at the ceiling, going over my thoughts.