The Unexpected

After I won the battle I figured it was probably time to face my dad for the first time since mom passed. Maybe he wouldn't be to mad at me for just leaving like I did. On my walk home Jessie caught up to me.

"Congrats on the win! This is the first time a newbie won."

"Thanks."

"So where are you off to?"

"To see my dad."

"Well, you wanna hang out tonight? I figure since we aren't battling against each other anymore we can go back to being friends. What do you say?"

I stopped and stared at her for a minute searching for a sign of her lying, nothing.

"Um, yea, ok."

"Ok great! Meet me at the levy on the boat docks. I want to show you something!"

      I watched her disappear into the distance thinking to myself.

"Is she trying to sabotage me?"

     When she left my sight I continued my walk home. Out of nowhere a fire truck, cop, and an ambulance came speeding past me.

"My house is the only place on this road, OH NO DAD!"

     I took off running as fast as I could down the hill. They were already parked in the yard and running inside when I got to where I could see the house. I pushed myself to go faster. The thoughts in my head were buzzing and no matter what I did they wouldn't go away. I became enraged with anger and fear, my mom was gone, I couldn't take the pain of losing my dad too.

     I reached the house, ran threw the already opened door, and began screaming.

"DAD! DAD!"

     A cop stopped me.

"Excuse me, young lady you can't be in here."

"That's my dad! Now get out of my way!"

"He has had a massive heart attack and we need to get him to the hospital as quick as possible."

     I was stunned. How could this happen? Was it because of me? I pondered the thoughts. Mom died and in the same day I ran off and haven't been home until now and didn't tell him where I was going or when I would return. Maybe he thought I was dead too.

They placed my dad in the back of the ambulance and allowed me to sit with him. On the way to the hospital I apologized over and over again and kept telling myself this was all my fault.

"I should have told you where I was going. I should have come home. I should have never left. I'm so sorry dad, please wake up!"

     The E.M.T. sitting in the back listing to everything I was saying spoke up.

"You shouldn't blame yourself. Things like this happen all the time. I'm sure he will be okay. He is showing good vital signs now that we have him on oxygen. We are going to take good care of him."

"How did you even know about this? Someone had to have called for you to know."

"Yes, as a matter of fact, a lady called."

"Who? What lady? Did she leave a name?"

" All she said was, she needed an ambulance because her husband was on the floor and he wasn't  breathing. So if I had to guess. If this is your dad than it was your mom or step mom? But, when we got there, no one was in the house. Well, until you came running in. I mean you would think if this is her husband she wouldn't have left him alone."

"My mom is dead, and I have no step mom."

"Oh, wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Wait, than who called?"