The Doctor is Calling

The phone rang, I answered it after checking the caller I.D.

"It's mom's doctor."
I told my dad

     I put the phone down in the middle of the table not wanting to be the first one to know the news. We were staring at each other fearing the worst, mom broke and answered the phone.

"Hello? This is her. Uh huh. Yes sir I sure can. Thank you. Bye."

She sat the phone down back in the middle of the table, her eyes filled quickly with tears. She lowered her head trying to fight the water works but wasn't having much luck with it.

"Hunny, what is it?"
My dad asked.

     She held up her finger signaling that she needed a minute to collect herself. She stalled for a few minutes longer, my dad got up from the table and wrapped his arms around her trying to comfort her even though he still had no idea why she was crying.

     I just sat there and watched my mom grieve for reasons unknown to me at the time. Finally, she lifted her head off of dad's shoulder.

"He said...........He said......."

"What mom? What did he say?"

     I know I shouldn't rush her to spill the beans but I couldn't take the suspense anymore.

"He said I have cancer. I start treatments on Monday."

Dad and I both lost for words wrapped our arms around her and cried with her. Out of everything going on right now with my grades and perfecting my skill, this angers me the most.

     I can't lose my mother. How are we going to deal with this. I know nothing about the illness and know no one that has it. What do I do? Is treatments going to be enough? Is she dying?

     All the questions buzzing in my head unanswered were driving me to the point of insanity. My body began to rise in temperature. I had to let go of my mom and dad so I wouldn't catch them on fire. I backed up slowly as they were still latched onto each other. I had no other option but to run out into the back yard so I wouldn't disturb them.

So much anger built up inside me and made my whole body burst into flames. Thoughts swirling in my head of losing my mother, I couldn't take it. I let out a long, loud, and hard scream relieving myself and I sat on the steps as the flames went out.

     Mom and dad came bolting through the back door. Tears were streaming uncontrollably down my face. I was unable to hide it and they both sat next to me one on each side. We sat there in silence and watched the sun disappear into the water in the distance.

     Darkness began to surround us so we decided to go inside. Mom already had dinner on the table and we were getting ready to eat before her doctor called. Now the food was cold and I offered to heat every ones plate up so mom didn't have to.

     We sat, we ate, we even managed to get a little conversation going, but we were all still thinking about the phone call. The only thing we could do was hope and pray the treatments would be enough to keep her alive.