twenty five

vanic x tove styrke - borderline

" I live my life in shackles but I'm borderline free, I used to be blind and I still can't see "

A few days passed since Verity's death. D'Angelo and I were shaken up about it, but not talking about it was how we coped. We didn't want to remember her for the frail, comatose hospital patient she'd been in her last moments. We wanted to remember who she was before everything happened. The creative, bubbly, cheerful, kind friend we knew her to be.

The sheriff had found my parents. They'd reported me missing, along with my friends, as soon as I didn't come home from swim practice on time. We'd been presumed dead. He told me they'd missed me so much and were on their way as soon he hung up. Mom was held up in Long Island with business stuff, but my siblings were driving down to get me. D'Angelo's parents were on their way too. We were finally going home, and it felt so good.

There was something bittersweet about it though, as there is with all endings. I'd made so many new friends while I was in Beacon Hills, who I would remember forever. I'd treasure the moments we had: Scott comforting me whenever I was upset, Stiles' endearing hyperactive personality, Allison and Lydia providing me with some much needed female company, Deaton taking me in and loving me like his own daughter, teaching me everything I knew about the supernatural. A part of me would even miss Derek - the good times we had, anyway. I didn't want to let go of everything, but I had to.

With my bags in my hands, I walked into the front room to find Deaton sat on the couch.
"I'm ready," I said quietly. He looked up at the sound of my voice and stood.
"Do you want me to take any of your bags?" Deaton offered.
"No, it's fine. Thank you so much. For everything," I choked, a lump forming in my throat.
"Hey, hey, hey. Don't cry," He soothed, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.
"I'm going to miss you so much,"
"You won't have to, because I'll always be with you in here," He raised his hand and placed two fingers on the pendant he'd given me. The floodgates opened and tears streamed down my face as I pulled him into the tightest hug I could muster.
"We'll see each other again, won't we?" I mumbled into his chest.
"I'm sure of it,"

School dragged on as I waited for the deputy who would take me to the station, where I was meeting my parents. I barely paid attention in class. All of it was focused on the sick feeling in my stomach, a combination of sadness and anticipation.

The bell rang for lunch, which was when I was supposed to be picked up. My friends waited for me outside the AP Calc classroom. As soon as I saw them lined up, slight smiles on their faces, I felt the waterworks coming again.
"Not in school, not in school," I mumbled, dabbing at the corners of my eyes with my sleeve.
"Bring it in, crybaby," Stiles joked. I ran to them and was enveloped in the largest, most crushing group hug I'd ever experienced.
"We're going to miss you, Rose," Allison said into my ear.
"I'll miss you guys, too. So much," Everyone pulled away, and Isaac crooked his arm at me.
"Would Miss Jagger like to be escorted to the vice principal's office to await her chauffeur?" He grinned.
"Miss Jagger would like that very much," I chuckled, and the six of us walked down the hall together one last time.

The deputy, Tara, walked me outside to the marked car sat in the parking lot. I looked up to the woods as I lugged my stuff down the stone steps, and saw an all-too-familiar face waiting at the edge of the trees.
"Tara, could you give me a minute? There's something I need to do,"
"Sure. I'll take your bags to the car,"
"Thanks," I handed her my stuff and took off towards the woods
"What do you want?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.
"I just...wanted to say my goodbyes," He breathed.
"Right,"
"I'm sorry for -"
"It's nothing," I interrupted. "I'm past it,"
"No, I'm not done. I don't want things between us to end like this. Or, at all. I like you, Rose. A lot," I took a deep breath, not expecting this development at all. He seemed almost pained, as if he wasn't used to talking about his feelings like this. That wasn't surprising, though.
"You said it yourself. I'm too young and immature for you. It could never work,"
"I didn't mean any of that. I was an idiot. I -"
"Derek, please. I'm leaving and I probably won't see you ever again, so let's just...leave this on good terms," I sighed.
"Okay. If that's what you want," Derek shrugged his shoulders.
"Friends?" I said, holding out my hand for him to shake. He took it and shook gently.
"Friends," A smile pulled at the corners of his lips.

I walked away from Derek, my heart filled with pride. I didn't know when I would see him again but something told me I hadn't seen the last of Beacon Hills or the Hale boy who had been the object of my fixation for weeks.

I could feel his eyes on my back but I refused to turn around one last time. I was more than him; more than his touch, his affection, his focus. I was my own person. Parts of my life may have still been shrouded in mystery, but I had found my identity.

I am Rose Jagger. I am a valkyrie. I am finally free.